Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   Air Conditioning (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/air-conditioning-18926/)

IIRMAN 08-04-2010 03:20 PM

Air Conditioning

Hello, new here so not sure where to post about the Air Conditioning problem I am having with my 1995 Camry. I had the system recharge twice and even ran dye through the system to check for leaks but nothing was found. Cold air last about 2 days then nothing. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

vang9981 08-17-2010 12:02 AM

I have the same freakin problem with my 93. I was initially told it was a R12 system, was charged for a R134a retro and recharged. Anyways, I was later told 3 years later that it was originally a R134 system and I got jipped!! Back to subject: I hear a hissing noise when I turn the AC on inside my car. The same garage that jipped me also claime to have changed the expansion valve. I then took it to a shop I trust just recently and they told me that the valve may need to be changed. I was like what?, it was changed. Anyhow, he charged my system for free and it lasted 1 week. There is still freon in there and it does get cool when the weather is cool, not over 80 or 90F. I don't know if it is leaking or the valve. I was also told to change the Heater Control valve (easy job) just in case it was hanging up... For now, I still have no AC.. any advice would help...

thx in advance.

Glenn8963 08-17-2010 04:39 AM

a/c repairs are just about the easiest repairs to rip off people, as the mechanics DO NOT know about how to diagnose or repair, they simply "guess" at what to do.......

if you are hearing any kind of hissing sound, sometimes its the freon going thru the system and not necessarily a leak. the expansion valve could be the problem, as crud that flows thru the system can clog it up. if the "price is right, have that valve replaced, but here in lies yet another problem.......

it is always recommended that a system flush be done when ever the system is opened up for repairs. many shops do not do this, and therefore, the same crud clogs up the valve again. always ask how much a system flush is, and then make sure they do it.

another leaking area for ALL a/c units, is the seal at the compressor pulley. it can be very hard to find at times. also, a leak inside the dashboard area is common, and hard to find. i had found the sometimes even the tiny valves where the re-charge hoses are attached are leaking and many shops do not replace those tiny valves, do you know which ones i speak of...??? those are the ones that look tire valves that you use to put air into your tires. sometimes they just go bad, as they only have a tiny plastic seal around them, and if anyone over tightens them, well hell, they leak.

gangats 08-17-2010 08:59 PM

Check Relay and Fuses

If every thing check out right , I suggest check the refrigerant pressure on lower side with A/C on, if that reads good that means there is no leak, but if you see high pressure on low side with AC knob in on position, it could probably a bad relay or fuse. I had similar situation with my car and it was a bad relay.