Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   Camry 1995 overheating & leaking (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/camry-1995-overheating-leaking-29008/)

Cesca 10-30-2010 11:10 AM

Camry 1995 overheating & leaking

My Camry was overheating, we changed the radiator and the thermostat, now it's leaking antifreeze from the bottom on the left side of the engine when you're standing in front of it, but we cannot figure out from where exactly.
Can someone please help? thanks in advance.
Cesca

toyomoho 10-30-2010 06:15 PM

What engine, 4 cylinder or V6?

The left side of the engine has the water pump.

Might remove the tire, then with car securely raised up look up between the inner fender and the front of the engine for signs of leaking. There is an inner fender shield that can be unbolted if you need a better view.

How hot did the engine get?

Cesca 10-30-2010 07:07 PM

Thanks Joey for answering..... it's a V6.... the engine was actually smoking before changing the radiator.
After that we were checking the antifreeze after each ride and noticed that it was used up way too fast, that's when we thought of leaving a bucket underneath it. Well, the next morning sure enough there was antifreeze in it.
We also were thinking to check the water pump, but wanted to hear a different opinion, so thanks again!
We have the Chilton book to look up how to change the water pump, if need be.... but how accurate is this book. They don't sell Haynes any longer!!!

toyomoho 10-31-2010 02:12 PM

The Chilton book should be good enough.

The engine is a 1MZ-FE which was used for years in Camry a few other models.

Try the AutoZone websites vehicle repair guide sections. You need to sign up (free) but the info is well work it.

You can do a google search on the engine model and "changing the water pump." You should get a lot of hits.

Before digging into the water pump make sure the coolant really is leaking from that area. It will come out the bottom of the timing cover.

Otherwise could be a bad hose.

If the engine was ever grossly overheated might check for a blown head gasket. Check for leaks where the head meets the block.

Cesca 11-06-2010 04:17 PM

Unfortunately the Chilton book is not as detailed. I found a good site to change the timing belt, which it seems we have to take out to get to the water pump.
But I couldn't find anything specific on the water pump!
And yes the coolant is leaking from under the timing belt.

We don't think that the engine was extremely overheated.

toyomoho 11-06-2010 07:09 PM

I suggest you try the AutoZone website and look into the sites vehicle repair guides for the year/make/model and engine type. The engine is the 3.0L V6.

The site has info on replacing the water pump including some photos.

To use the site you need to register or obtain a membership which is free.

The timing belt cover needs to be removed, then the timing belt.

Cesca 11-12-2010 08:46 AM

Hey Joey.... thank you for your help!!!
Yep, it was the water pump, which sits right behind and under the timing belt...
Our Camry is "okay" now and ready to go a few more miles :D

toyomoho 11-12-2010 10:26 AM

Great!

Thanks for posting back with your successful repair.