DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Camry acceleration pulsing

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Default Camry acceleration pulsing

This happened to someone in an older thread and I just came up with the exact same problem. I have a 2003
camry and on saturday it started pulsing while accelerating. There are
no noises at all. Just when you try to accelerate the engine pulses ... the rpms do not drop and no warning light ... if it were an extreme worst case scenario the car would be bucking. Any advise would be helpful...
also..Could it possibly be a catalytic converter? About a month ago every once in a while I would get that sulfur smell.

former thread:
https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ge...s-27729/page2/

Old 04-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

What engine model?

Pulses but the RPM does not change?

Might check out the link below, read down about excessive sulfur smell:

Toyota Camry Check Engine Light - Catalytic Converter - Car Forums - Edmunds

If you think it is the converter and the car is under 96 months or 80K miles best take action before the warranty expires.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
What engine model?

Pulses but the RPM does not change?

Might check out the link below, read down about excessive sulfur smell:

Toyota Camry Check Engine Light - Catalytic Converter - Car Forums - Edmunds

If you think it is the converter and the car is under 96 months or 80K miles best take action before the warranty expires.
2003 camry le v6 auto
178,000 miles
engine light is not on
Also it is starting to buck slightly and I shouldn't say the engine I should say the car as it could be the transmission is well... possibly?

Old 04-13-2011, 03:37 PM

I wanna say it could be a misfire, but you would have a DTC set if you had a misfire. It could be your transmission, does it do it when the car shifts gears, or just when your accelerating in general. Any specific speed or rpm does it pulse at??

Old 04-14-2011, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by ambersmith6591
I wanna say it could be a misfire, but you would have a DTC set if you had a misfire. It could be your transmission, does it do it when the car shifts gears, or just when your accelerating in general. Any specific speed or rpm does it pulse at??

It does it any time I accelerate any gear. I know what a misfire feels like and this is nothing like it. It feels as if you were pumping the gas slightly while accelerating..
Cruising on level ground it's fine but going up a hill it pulses...

Last edited by davenmic; 04-14-2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:01 AM

I believe it's the 1MZ-FE. You should first check your wires from the pedal to the throttle cable It could be faulty. Drive-by wires are reliable but some rare cases tend to snap or get stuck. It could also mean your transmission is going bad. Check the fluids and see if they're dirty or clean. Try flushing out your transmission oil and put in new oil as well as replacing your transmission oil filter. If it still persists, it could be your tranny.

Does it take longer than usual for the car to start going from a stop? Does your shifter slide more easily than it should? If all of these are evident, it's the transmission going bad.

Last edited by xpeed; 04-14-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by xpeed
I believe it's the 1MZ-FE. You should first check your wires from the pedal to the throttle cable It could be faulty. Drive-by wires are reliable but some rare cases tend to snap or get stuck. It could also mean your transmission is going bad. Check the fluids and see if they're dirty or clean. Try flushing out your transmission oil and put in new oil as well as replacing your transmission oil filter. If it still persists, it could be your tranny.

Does it take longer than usual for the car to start going from a stop? Does your shifter slide more easily than it should? If all of these are evident, it's the transmission going bad.
No different starting out And shifter feels the same... also when I floor it or just cruising, unless I'm going up the hill, there's no pulse.
I'll try a tranny service and see what happens
ty

Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 PM

No different starting out And shifter feels the same... also when I floor it or just cruising, unless I'm going up the hill, there's no pulse.
I'll try a tranny service and see what happens
ty
that's weird!yah, it seem to me its 1MZ-FE...try to check it again.