DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Changing Instrument Panel from MPH to KPH on 98 Camry+ Burnt Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Default Changing Instrument Panel from MPH to KPH on 98 Camry+ Burnt Bulb

Hello all,

I have a 98 camry LE, ive read about removing the instrument cluster and the front plexiglass panel to access the bulb, so i can replace that
but then i was wondering how i could replace the back panel to display KPH instead of MPH? (as i am in canada)

i know i can purchase instrument clusters either here or off ebay, and they arent that expensive, but then can i remove the panels under the needles?
plus i know a guy who has a couple 98 camrys in the junkyard...maybe hell give me the instrument clusters (they are in KPH)

i notice that there are 2 screws on the panels, i thought maybe if i remove them then i could easily remove the panel, keeping in mind i have to remove the needles first....do they just 'pop out' ??

any help would be greatly appreciated
thank youu

-mahdi

Old 06-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest you pickup up one of the junkyard ones and determine how easy it is to take apart. You may be able to replace the complete gauge instead of trying to take it apart.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:57 AM

It's very simple, and you're exactly right about the screws and pins. The trick is getting the pins back on. They're not only delicate, but you'll lose accuracy in whichever gauges you decide to replace. I put reverse-glow, white gauge faces in my '00 Camry, and now I must factor in that 1/4 tank of gas is actually more like 1/3, my speedometer is about 5 mph faster than I'm actually driving, etc.

The bulbs are actually sandwiched in between the plastic piece holding the gauges you see and the back plastic piece which connects to your wiring harness. After you remove the trim from the dashboard, there are four screws holding the assembly in place (two top & two bottom). Carefully lift the entire assembly out just far enough to unplug the wiring harness connectors in the back. Now, you'll be able to move it to a convenient work space.

The front, clear plastic piece removes easily; it just snaps into place. From there, you can access your gauge faces if you choose to do so. The other two pieces have a few more of those snaps holding it in place. So, it's a little trickier to get them all undone at once. Be care with these pieces. The plastic is sharp, and when I did it I cut the bejesus out of my hand.

With those two main pieces of the gauge assembly apart, you'll see all the wedge bulbs sitting right on top (of the rear piece). They are easily popped in & out. I'd recommend wearing latex gloves or using a clean rag when handling the bulb. Oils from your fingers will cause hot spots to form on the bulbs and reduce their life span.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:08 PM

Thank you to "Toyomoho" and "Hey look there's a camry!" for your advice

toyomoho i will indeed try this, i just need to find a guage cluster thats kinda cheap :P loll

and to youu my friend above, thank you very much for the detailed information and instructions! i will go about this soon once i get a hold of a guage cluster ill try and remove the backing first from the other one and then attempt at doing my own...

once againn thank youu

Regards,

-mahdi

Old 07-01-2015, 05:19 AM

Hi, Camry clusters use Toshiba V-2 sockets bulbs.. Sizes T5 , T6.5 , T10

we carry all Original toyota bulbs for replacement
please check out - www.speedometerbulbs.com/collections/toshiba
if you anybody needs replacements for theyr clusters / speedometers
thank you
-Bryan