Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   Engine burning oil (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/engine-burning-oil-52909/)

Wiley 06-26-2019 07:32 PM

Engine burning oil

Hi, there. I am new to the site and was wondering it was worth it to try and fix an 1999 v6 camry that is burning oil when starting car after several hours of sitting. I tried to do some research but am not sure if I need to replace some gaskets or worse valve stems. Also, any advice on how hard of a job this would be for someone with very no experience pulling apart an engine.

Regards,

Wiley

toyomoho 06-26-2019 09:52 PM

Burning oil as in using oil or white smoke after start up?

Check PVC system.

Valves stems seals can be replaced with the engine still together but its very time consuming!.

Jcountry 06-27-2019 07:40 PM

Have you changed oil brands recently?

I used to think that was BS, but once you find a brand your car likes, stick with it.

They all have additives and some are incompatible.

My 2006 camry loves Havoline. Doesn't leak or burn a drop.

Wiley 06-27-2019 10:09 PM

Thanks! Yes, there is white smoke coming out of the tailpipe when starting the car if it hasn't been running for several hours. Most noticeably when I first start the car in the morning and then in the evening when I leave work. Thanks, I will check the Pcv. And may try another brand of oil too.

Wiley 06-29-2019 10:38 AM

So how best to remove the pcv valve? I can get it to spin around but can't seem to pull it up. I am afraid that it will snap in half. If it snaps and pieces fall through, doesn't appear much choice than to remove the valve covers?

toyomoho 06-29-2019 02:18 PM

The grommet around the valve hardens with age making the valve difficult to remove. Try using pliers to grasp the base of the valve.

The valve is one way. Air should go out and not in.

Wiley 06-30-2019 03:36 PM

Darn...the PCV just snapped. I'll need to get a something sharp to somehow cut the grommet and the remainder of the PCV out. I just hope I don't make a bigger mess by having pieces fall into the hole. Any guidance is always appreciated.

toyomoho 06-30-2019 11:21 PM

Its time consuming to remove the rear cover.

There should be a separate air chamber the PCV valve installs into (see link). This should prevent the broken lower PCV section from dropping into the valve train if it falls out of the grommet.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...ny-pics-2.html

Might try this.

Is the bottom half of the PCV still in the valve cover grommet? If so can you make a tool such as a probe, hook or screw in device that can securely grab the bottom half to prevent it from dropping into the engine if the tool is held?

Then once secure delicately work on the grommet to remove it. If the broken PCV is held secure enough by the tool, try pushing down and out of the grommet hole to get it out of the way. Then start working on the grommet to break it down into parts. Perhaps slicing it into sections with a small thin saw with the blade cutting action on the up stroke. This to draw out the cut material to be picked up by a vacuum cleaner hose held to the area.

Once the grommet is broken up and removed, remove the broken PVC part.

Wiley 07-02-2019 10:25 PM

Thank you for all of your suggestions, I will try this when I get a chance. That's again!

Wiley 07-05-2019 07:52 PM

Toyomoho, it worked! I was able to cut the grommet into smaller pieces and the pull out the larger pieces. Next borrowed my lady's vacuum when she went shopping and got the rest of the grommet pieces and the remaining pcv valve pieces. Installed the new grommet and pcv, started the car and smoke came out of the tailpipe. Hoping this was due to residue oil? Will take the car for a short drive and will let the car sit over night before attempting to start the car again. Will let you know how it turns out. Again, thank you for all if your assistance!