DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Fog light install

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Default Fog light install

I want to install fog lights in my 07 camry, but have read some people are finding there is nothing behind the bumper to mount the lights to. What are the options IF there are no mounting brackets already there?

Old 03-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Does the bumper cover have removable covers where the lights would go?

f not you need to cut out the holes and find light system that works for this situation.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

There should be proper mounts on the bumper cover for fog lights on you 07. I recently bought a fog light kit (I have yet to install it) and I have done a lot of research on this.
Once the blanks are removed from the bumper cover you should see the appropriate tabs to screw the fog lights into.
Here is a good link with some nice pics:
Fog Light Pictures and notes
Keep us posted with your results. I wish I had the time to install mine!

Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 AM

I bought the set from Vinjct that are made for this car and would normally be installed at the port before delivery to the dealer, so they should go on without too much trouble, but thinking like that has caused me problems in the past. So this time I thought I would ask questions before jumping into it.
The inserts that are in the spots now will be replaced with the ones that came with my light kit, but the new ones (with the opening for the light to shine through) only have tabs that will hold them in place.
Each light has four "ears" with holes for mount the lights to something behind the bumper. There is nothing on the new insert that would allow the light to be attach to them.
I'm hoping someone has done this install before and can tell me what to expect to find before I borrow my neighbor's jack, stands and remove the bottom guard panel to get access to the inside bumper area.

With or without help and advice I will do the deed and let you know how things turn out.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

You may have the lamp, not complete assy. Lamp mounts to cover piece which mounts to bumper cover.

View photos at the Ebay site below to show details:

2007 Camry Fog Lamp | eBay

Find the cover piece.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

You are right about the lights themselves not mounting to the inserts. The inserts in your kit simply replace the ones already installed on your car, these ones just have the hole cut out for the lights to show through. The tabs on the housings actually mount to some tabs on the bumper cover, not the insert. I have compared my ebay kit to a factory one and they are the same and they are the same that you are talking about.
Read this thread from Toyota Nation:
Wiring foglights for camry LE gen 6 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
There is a good picture of the tabs I'm talking about if you scroll down about half way. This is a good thread that covers wiring as well, a good read full of info.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:18 AM

Thanks!
That picture tells me a great deal. The inserts that came with my lights do not look like that one.
Where do I get those? Is this a dealer item?

Old 03-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Old 03-11-2014, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

What do your covers look like? Post a pic?

Old 03-12-2014, 07:21 AM
Default fog light install

Well Patonium, I didn't know enough about my car to ask a question that made sense. Thanks for being patient.
After getting the underside exposed I saw that my bumper looked just like the picture you provided and the lights attached easily.
Now, although my car was "prewired" and all I had to do was connect the lights to the plugs, I actually had to use the wiring harness that came with my new light kit, because the prewired system in the car did NOT have a relay in line and the small 18 gauge wires got too hot for my comfort level.
I confirmed with the dealership's parts guys they did not come with relays. That would have been installed along with the lights at the port of entry before delivery.
All is done now, and I impressed the wife. That's not an easy task in itself.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Fog light install