Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   Front Brake Grind (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/front-brake-grind-40088/)

Hippo393 01-31-2012 09:28 PM

Front Brake Grind

Recently the front (I think) left brake (1997 Camry LE, V6 120k miles) caliper has suddenly exhibited sticking/stuck behavior. I hear a grind whilst driving as I slightly turn the wheel to the left, and then the other corresponding pad grind as I turn the wheel slightly to the right...when not applying the brake, just coasting forward. Interesting how the different wheel-turns elicit different grind sounds.

Replaced rotors and pads on both sides, no change. Greased up the caliper pins real well, still no change. I did notice this...... usually during a brake job when you remove the caliper to swap out pads, the piston slowly creeps out while you're busy replacing the pads, and you have to then tighten a clamp up to it in order to reinstall the caliper back onto the rotor. This one didn't creep out. So I pumped the brake a few times, and she barely creeped out at all. This tells me that while driving, the caliper must therefore apply pressure to the pads, but not retract. Sound reasonable? Anyone been there before? Other thoughts?

So, anyone got tips on rebuild kits, or better luck on total rebuilt units? Or, am I even on the right track with these symptoms? Thanks!

ukrkoz 01-31-2012 10:38 PM

BRAKE CALIPER REBUILD - YouTube

ukrkoz 01-31-2012 10:38 PM

turning wheels should produce no brake noise.

Hippo393 02-01-2012 07:35 PM

Thanks for the resource...lots of great viewing info :) . So is this a confirmation of a faulty caliper? Also:

Originally Posted by ukrkoz (Post 69341)
turning wheels should produce no brake noise.

Unfortunately that's what it sounds like. So what other usual suspects could these symptoms originate from? I just want to be sure before digging into the brake lines (= unfamiliar territory). Thanks!!

toyomoho 02-01-2012 09:30 PM

Grind noise?

The brakes should not make any more noise then when they are applied. Is the grinding noise the sound of a dragging brake?

How was the wear on the pads, inner versus outer pad. One side compared to the other. Did the pad on the caliper that might have a stuck piston have much more or less wear?

Changing the caliper is easy enough and reasonably cheap for a rebuilt unit. Suggest having some kind of service info such as a Haynes manual before starting in.

full house 02-01-2012 10:20 PM

this makes me laugh, I had in the same situation a couple of months ago... my brother visited me and fix it not sure what he did I'll try to call him up to ask...

Hippo393 02-03-2012 09:36 PM

Thanks Joey,

The grinding noise does sound like a dragging brake. And, it's only sounded like this for 2 days before shutting 'er down. This is new territory for me, so it's hard to be sure of the etiology.

I do recall when I changed out the pads that the inner pad seemed more worn than the outer. The inner side with the piston exhibited more wear....but I figured that may have been due to warped rotors (original rotors from 1997) as the braking experience had become a pulsing one lately. So now with this troubling grinding noise, instinctively I changed out pads & rotors, thinking it was "about time". Alas, no change in brake drag-noise on the left.

Thankfully I not only have a Haynes manual, but a CD service manual as great resources. I guess I was asking the group here for confirmation of this being a brake-piston dealio before digging in. Based on the responses here, it does indeed point to that diagnosis....except for ukrkoz saying that "turning wheels should produce no brake noise". But it indeed does. Anyone care to respond to this apparent discrepancy? Thanks all!!

ukrkoz 02-03-2012 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Hippo393 (Post 69367)
Thanks for the resource...lots of great viewing info :) . So is this a confirmation of a faulty caliper? Also:

Unfortunately that's what it sounds like. So what other usual suspects could these symptoms originate from? I just want to be sure before digging into the brake lines (= unfamiliar territory). Thanks!!

CV joints. they will make grinding noise turning. once again, brakes and rotor do not change their relationship when turning. unless it's all loose badly.
wrong size tires may grind on tire wells.

Honda had an issue with CR-Vs. Powertrain will move towards front pas side tirewell, during max left turn, and pulley will grind on it.

Hippo393 02-08-2012 12:18 AM

Welp, 9 bucks and a newly-rebuilt front left caliper, and fresh Dot 3 throughout the lines later, the same grinding symptoms persist. Sorta glad that it wasn't the brakes, as they perform excellent...as they always have. I'm just scratching my head on what that awful noise could be. ukrkoz said possibly the CV joints; I will look into that (although I am well-familiar with what failing CV's sound like, and she don't sound like this...). The tires are stock replacements, so I know it's not them.

The awful noise is a grinding/rubbing per-revolution that indeed intensifies when turning the wheel. It sounds as if the brake pad grinds to a warped rotor, thus emitting a noise every revolution on the offending "spot" on the rotor. New rotors and pads, so I know it shouldn't be an issue, but that's just what the noise sounds like. Braking hard does elicit the noise, but stops great. Of course, turning the wheel while driving (or even parked!) makes the noise. Gah!

I may take 'er in to a shop. Keep y'all posted! :)

toyomoho 02-08-2012 12:47 PM

Somewhat perplexed.

The pads can and do often ride slightly on the rotors. You can hear the sound when rotating the tire by hand when off the ground. The noise will not be loud or awful and most like you will not be able to hear it inside the car with engine running, windows up, etc.

Grinding as you describe is possible if the pad is worn to the packing metal and now steel is riding against the rotor. How do the rotors look, any signs of grooving, metal to metal contact?

Bad CV joints typically make a popping, clicking or banging noise when doing 90 and 180 degree turns at slow speeds and sometimes when accelerating. There is no mistaking hearing this noise for what it is, a bad CV joint and it can be easily heard inside the car.

You could have a bad wheel bearing. This can make a grounding noise but more often a roar that fades into the road noise at speeds around 35 mph. When driving, rapidly turn the steering wheel to shift the body weight from one side to the other. When the weight is on the side of a bad bearing the noise will get louder, when off the bearing softer.

Have you checked for a brake backing plate rubbing on the rotor?