Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   Gas smell - 1995 Camry, 210000 (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/gas-smell-1995-camry-210000-a-51827/)

wdc123 09-26-2017 07:08 AM

Gas smell - 1995 Camry, 210000

I noticed a gas smell the other day after filling up. I investigated and it appears to be near where you fill the tank. If you fill the tank there are two lines that go from the filler hole into the tank. Just before the tank there are flexible hoses.

One is skinny and the large lines is where gas goes in tank. The hard piep lines are rusty but intact.

First off I think its leaking from these hoses since there's a gas stain nearby and what are they called so I can buy them.

Thnaks. They are not rotting but never replaced. There appears to be a leak at the small hose where the hose strap is.

toyomoho 09-26-2017 03:39 PM

There are several hoses/tubes to the tank.

The filler tube has a fill and vent tube.

The tank has a line from the pump, return line from the injector rail and a hose to vent the gas fumes. This goes to the charcoal canister.

Run the tank low on fuel then drop it to access the various hoses/tubes.

There is also a small plate under the rear seat for fuel pump access.

wdc123 09-27-2017 02:36 AM

Cool, thank you.

wdc123 09-30-2017 07:18 PM

The leak is at the flexible vent tube hose connections so will just replace the tube and rusty clamps.

I think I will replace the metals lines. They are intact but when you pick at them large chunks of rust come off and the metal wall to me appears then.

Fortunately all are accessible.

More detail

The filler tube has two lines

1. filler tube - Metal tube until you reach just before the gas tank (condition very rusty), then there is a flexible black ribbed hose to the tank (good condition).

2.vent tube - Metal tube until you reach just before the gas tank (condition very rusty), then there is a rubber hose (leaks at connections).

Have others had to replace these on their old camrys. Just curious. I am in the Midwest so more likely to rust sooner.

wdc123 09-30-2017 07:46 PM

I can see all the brackets holding the filler tube and vent tubes in place. Will hit all nut and bolts with PB Blaster including flexible hose brackets while I order parts. I have not looked at filler top and how that comes off but will look at tonight.

toyomoho 09-30-2017 10:36 PM

Rusted out filler tube is a common issue in areas where road salt is used.

After market filler tubes/rubber hoses are available or try auto yard.

Need to drop the tank.

wdc123 10-05-2017 12:56 AM

I just removed the filler/vent pipe. New one coming in from Rock Auto.

Generally hit all nuts and bolts with PB BLASTER. Let sit for a day.

1. Disconnected hose clamps and hoses from vent and filler pipe.
2. Disconnected brackets holding filler pipe/vent to vehicle ( bottom of vehicle and at gas cap).
3. Removed left rear plastic wheel well section and slid filler/vent pipe out.

This camry did not require a gas tank drop but others may require it depending on access. I saw it on you tube.

Hopefully finish up this weekend.

toyomoho 10-06-2017 07:37 PM

Great job!

Was the vent tube rusted through?

wdc123 10-07-2017 07:21 PM

Just hit it with a hammer, all this rust broke off and rusted right through in spots on filler pipe. I am surprised the whole thing did not collapse while driving.

One thing I have learned is another item you should inspect regularly in the Midwest area where significant amounts of salt are spread on the roads. It spent some time in California but most of its time in Illinois.

Will be checking my 2003 suburban for the filler pipe.

Someone bumped the car a longtime ago and not noticeable until your under. This made it difficult to put back together. There is a slight misalignment for brackets to frame. One bolt broke off. The screW portion is in the rail so trying to figure out how to bolt one of the brackets to the frame. May use a large screw.

Also the collar I had on the new filler pipe disconnected. Instead of returning will just glue it back together.

wdc123 10-07-2017 07:23 PM

[QUOTE=wdc123;96334]Just hit it with a hammer, all this rust broke off and rusted right through in spots on filler pipe. I am surprised the whole thing did not collapse while driving.

One thing I have learned is another item you should inspect regularly in the Midwest area where significant amounts of salt are spread on the roads. It spent some time in California but most of its time in Illinois.

Will be checking my 2003 suburban for the filler pipe.

Someone bumped the car a longtime ago and not noticeable until your under. This made it difficult to put back together. There is a slight misalignment for brackets to frame. One bolt broke off. The sthread portion is in the rail so trying to figure out how to bolt one of the brackets to the frame. May use a large screw.

Also the collar I had on the new filler pipe disconnected. Instead of returning will just glue it back together