Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   How to fix Oil in #4 Spark Plug Tube (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/how-fix-oil-4-spark-plug-tube-45245/)

umdaman 05-18-2013 11:22 AM

How to fix Oil in #4 Spark Plug Tube

I have a 4 cylinder 2000 Camry. When I replaced the wires, #4 was covered with oil. I looked down in the spark plug tube and there was lots of oil almost to the top of the plug. Do these Tubes Unscrew ? If they unscrew is there a gasket down there? I have searched a lot and people say the o-ring on the valve cover solves this, but there is no possible way the oil is getting in from a bad o-ring gasket on the valve cover. That gasket sits lower then the tube valve.

Thanks.

toyomoho 05-18-2013 04:21 PM

I think the tubes screw in.

No gasket but sealant was applied around the tube threads.

The tube needs to be unscrewed, all threads cleaned and more sealant applied. The link below provides a few ideas on how to remove the tube. Take note the tube can be deformed (crushed) if gripped to tightly.

help where I can buy this spark plug tube remover tool - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

The posts also recommend sealants (form in place gasket makers). Make sure to follow the directions on the package as to cure time required. Don't start the engine until the material is fully cured.

umdaman 05-19-2013 10:32 AM

Great. After reading this I did some research on how to remove them. I found a method that worked awesome! I took 2 of the valve cover nuts. I screwed one in upside down. Not all the way to the end of the thread but about 1 turn from end of threads. then screwed another nut the right side down, then took wrench on the bottom nut and unscrewed that one, and it then tightened onto the top nut then bam, the tube started loosing up. Did the opposite to re-tighten. I used permatex ultra grey which is what I used when I replaced my honda lawn mower crank. Never had a leak yet on my honda mower.

I hope I don't see anymore oil inside the tube. :):)

Thanks!

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 79199)
I think the tubes screw in.

No gasket but sealant was applied around the tube threads.

The tube needs to be unscrewed, all threads cleaned and more sealant applied. The link below provides a few ideas on how to remove the tube. Take note the tube can be deformed (crushed) if gripped to tightly.

help where I can buy this spark plug tube remover tool - Page 2 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

The posts also recommend sealants (form in place gasket makers). Make sure to follow the directions on the package as to cure time required. Don't start the engine until the material is fully cured.

toyomoho 05-19-2013 01:38 PM

Great job and good fix.