DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

how to remove console on 2000 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Default how to remove console on 2000 Camry

Hi. Hoping someone has experience in this. Shifter cable broke. Repair problem is in removing the center console to access where the cable bolts to the passenger side of the fire wall. Haven't been able to figure out just what needs to be removed and how to do it. Does anybody know or know of a guide for this? I really want to do this myself. Or if you have done it, please share some expertise. Thanks for any info.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Might ask at the Toyotanation website.

Typically there are a couple of screws at the bottom of the center glove box. A couple more at the front of the glove box unit (where it meets the center console panel).

The center console panel pry's out (held in by plastic clips molded to the side of the panel.

The front console box has a couple of screws where it meets the center cluster finish panel. This panel pry's out.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. Will try it tomorrow AM. Wondered if there is something that has to come off other than dash surround frame around the cigarette lighter.

Also, while I'm there, my blower motor dash light doesn't work and fan motor only works on two speeds. Is this something I should tackle while I'm om the neighborhood or am I getting in way too far?

I did post a ? on Toyotanation. Hoping someone has done this. Thanks again. You may be able to hear my screams from where you are.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

You will need to gain access to the front of the front console where the two screws are. The complete frame around the radio and climate control system comes off. It is held on by built-in clips molded to its frame.

Use a taped over flat screwdriver to gently go in between the frames outer edge on the side. Appears to be 5-6 total clips along both sides. None at the top or bottom.

Look between the frame and front of the console. Perhaps the screws are visible without removing the panel. Or maybe you can just lift it up from the back to gain access.

The climate control system panel is held in by 4 bolts. The ***** pull off but this is not required to take out the panel. Never changed the bulb thus can't help here.

Which fan speeds work, High, Med, Low?

Where did the cable fail? As I recall someone managed to bolt a new end section to a broken cable, forget how they did this (cable shop). Might do a Goggle search, search this forum and Toyotanation for past posts.

The cable is not cheap and may still only be available from the dealer. Try a junk yard, Google search for replacement non-Toyota cables.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM

Joey, Thanks for the reply. I have the cable. Purchased from dealer on line 163 bucks w/shipping. Still seems awful. I think if I follow your detailed advice I'll be able to get it apart (overconfidence does not go unpunished). Won't be able to do it til tomorrow-- will let you know about progress.

Fan motor does not work on low or med low (positions 1 & 2) Does work on med hi and hi (3 & 4). Thanks again.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

The manual climate system uses resistors to drop the voltage, the resistors can fail. They are in "pack" that installs from the outside into the blower duct above the fan. The air movement cools them.

Be gentle with the center console and radio trim. You need to have the blade of the screw driver (or whatever is used) push into the space between the part and the one next to it release the clip from gripping the part next to it. As in force it toward the part to be removed, the clip is molded to the part.

When the part is installed these clips move inward then spring back once the clip reaches the other side of the adjacent part. You can just try to pry the part out or the clips will break.

The Autozone website may have something in its vehicle self help repair guides on this.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Default Still plugging--

Hi. An update. I only get to work on the car very intermittently, so it seems like a long drawn out process. (A few minutes doing the contortionist thing is more than enough too.) Thanks to the help. All is disassembled. Bolts to gromet plate removed from passenger side. Looks to be an issue with getting the plate part out. -- (Affects cable removal and replacement) Do I have to remove what looks like some electronic component that is bolted to a bracket behind the removeable plastic "wall" that would be to the right of the driver's right foot?
I am very leery of taking more apart than necessary.
When you said the blower motor resistor pac is on the outside -- were you referring to the engine firewall side?

Old 05-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Cable is in! Well, not quite. Not hooked to the transmission arm but even the rotten bolts on the anchor plate are in. So things are looking good. THANK YOU. My husband didn't think I could do it!.

Still would like to see about the blower motor thing (first two speeds do not work) Still clueless about the location of the resistor pac. What does it look like? If I find it -- then what-- have it tested or just replace it?

Old 05-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Great job!!!

The part looks like the photo at the link below:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1312943

The black plastic portion would be exposed from the outside, the silver metal portion slides into the air duct. A wire plug would attach to the socket of the black portion. The part is held in by a couple of screws.

The part would be on the passengers side of the passengers compartment up under the dash in the area of the blower housing. Look for a round housing pointing down, this is the blower motor. The housing is what the blower goes into. There should be some kind of duct work further up on the housing that the part is mounted on. It slides into the duct from outside. It should be accessible without needed to remove the housing.

Wire colors to the part might be below (info for a 1999).

Black/White stripe, Blue/Black, Blue/Orange, White/Black. Find these wires and trace them back to the part.