Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   How to remove instrument cluster 90 camry?, 08/25/11 (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/how-remove-instrument-cluster-90-camry-08-25-11-a-39306/)

mike123 08-26-2011 12:59 AM

How to remove instrument cluster 90 camry?, 08/25/11

08/25/11
90 camry DLX 4cyl 2.0L,3SFE engine.
How to remove instrument cluster?
I appreciate your help.
mike123

toyomoho 08-26-2011 09:37 AM

There is a finish panel around the cluster.

Look for 3 screws on the upper roof of the cluster plus one screw on each side of the roof. All screws install vertically and going up. Total 5.

The lower part of the finish panel has 3 built in plastic push pins. One on each side of the switch assy below the cluster on the left of the steering wheel, the other is on the portion of the panel on the right side of the steering wheel.

You need to remove the screws then gentle pry out the panel section having the pins.

Once the panel is removed, the screws holding the cluster will be exposed.

There are 4 screws, 2 at the top of the cluster, 2 at the bottom.

When pulling out the cluster disconnect any wiring plugs and the speedo cable.

mike123 08-26-2011 10:43 PM

08/26/11

Hi Toyomoho,
thanks a lot for answering my post. I located the five screws on the finish panel.
But the lower part of the finish panel (gray color like the dashboard) does not have 3 built in plastic push pins. It just has only one rectangular piece (gray color on left) looks like can be removed.
Before I posted, I went to buy hynes manual (83-91) at autozone, to see if it has an exploded view for my dash, but it just has up to 1988 pictures not like mine 199o. I also searched for exploded view on internet or information, but did not find any. I
did not remove any thing yet. Better waite to see what you think (safer).
thanks
mike123

toyomoho 08-27-2011 08:41 AM

Later cars went to a larger one piece finish panel that extended around the center air outlets and climate controls.

Can you post a photo?

mike123 08-27-2011 09:44 PM

08/27/11
Yes Toyomoho, Photos realy will be helpful if they are clear. I dont have any means now. I will buy a camera and scaner when I have some money, is that what I need to post photos?.
Now I am unemployed looking very hard for a job. Am Broke, torn, no shirt no pants no shoes with big holes in my uw, and going to collaps in ruins and pieces unless I find a job soon.

Okey, I removed the five screws hold the "Cluster Finish Panel". I tried to pull it out,
and it moves all around except all its lower section is held. I tried to remove the "Lower Finish Panel" (under the steering) to have more access to see. I removed six bolts. I pulled on the "Lower Finish Panel" and it is all comming out, except the left section of it (next to the door) something holding it. Are there more than six bolts holding it?
I appreciate any input. thanks.
mike123

toyomoho 08-28-2011 04:19 PM

Did you unbolt and pull out the engine hood release lever.

For USA model cars 7 bolts, are shown, 5 on Canada cars.

4 bolts install vertically from below, 2 on each side of the steering console.

There are 2 screws that install horizontally on the drivers side of the console and 1 on the passengers side. Access to requires removal of the speaker panel, switch panel covers.

Speaker panel pries out from the top. Use a taped over flat bladed screw driver to pry out both panels.

mike123 08-29-2011 04:16 AM

08/29/11
Yes, the hood release lever was unbolted. It was the bolt under the speaker cover holding the lowe panel. I used a tough scraper to compress down the clip {it is in the middle of the top side of the cover} and prying out. I removed the steering cover (may be not necessary). That gave me more room to grab the middle lower part of the cluster finish panel to pull it out. Pulling out where the pin between the outer two pins, makes it easier to pull it out. Thank you very much Toyomoho.
I have some pictures want to posted them to make it easier for removal of the cluster finish panel, but I dont know how. when I click on "insert image" it tells me to "please enter the url of your image". I have the pictures on my hard drive. Is there is a way to post them?

toyomoho 08-29-2011 10:29 AM

Great, thanks for posting back with the results.

For posting photo's click on the Go Advanced box at the bottom of the Quick Reply section (the box where a response is typed).

A new screen will appear.

In the Additional Options section click on Manage Attachments.

A smaller screen will pop up.

In the Upload Files from Your Computer section of the small screen click on Browse. Find the photo you wish to attach to the message and click on Upload. It will take a few seconds to upload the photo.

When it is uploaded the photo file will appear in a box on the small screen. If you want to upload more the one photo, repeat the process until all photos are uploaded.

Then click Close on the small screen and click Submit Reply as you would normally do to post.

mike123 08-30-2011 01:02 AM

5 Attachment(s)
08/29/11
Thanks Toyomoho. Like others, I am impressed with your active and very informative
responds. I put text on the photos and modified one, hopefully to make it easier for any one {by just looking at the pictures} to remove the cluster finish, or the lower panel. I have problem with the temperature gauge and pulling codes. I removed the instrument cluster {combination meter} in order to check the gauge resistance, and its wiring. I am going to write new post for that with new title "temperature gauge problem".

mike123 08-30-2011 01:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this picture has all information to remove lower panel 88-91Camry