Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   How to replace 1992 Camry LE 4cyl Condenser Fan? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/how-replace-1992-camry-le-4cyl-condenser-fan-40984/)

White Phoenix 08-27-2012 07:40 PM

How to replace 1992 Camry LE 4cyl Condenser Fan?

Noticed the AC in my car wasn't working. I took it to an air conditioner shop and they said that the condenser fan is dead.

I'm planning on going to the junkyard to pull a used one from a 92-96 Camry. However, I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to DIYs. The only thing I did myself on this car is replace the AC Compressor Drive Belt, which was pretty straightforward.

Some friends of mine said changing the Condenser Fan is as simple as using a 10 mm ratchet wrench, pulling out 4 bolts that mount the Condenser Fan against the Radiator, and pulling out the plug that attaches it to the rest of the vehicle.

I was trying to pull the plug out for the condenser fan on my vehicle but it seems rather stubborn to come off. Is there a trick to this?

toyomoho 08-28-2012 10:15 AM

Replacing the fan is simple enough. There is a temp switch at the inside bottom of the radiator whose wiring may or may not run up this fan shroud (if not the other fan shroud). When taking out the shroud check for this wiring.

The fan plugs have a built in clip system that locks them together. As I recall try squeezing the center of the outer plug (on wide side of plug) will pulling.

First suggest you test the system. Both fans should turn on and off as the A/C compressor turns on and off.

If no operation of the condenser fan use a voltmeter to check for power when the A/C compressor is operating. Sometimes a relay can fail rather then the fan.

White Phoenix 08-28-2012 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 72720)
Replacing the fan is simple enough. There is a temp switch at the inside bottom of the radiator whose wiring may or may not run up this fan shroud (if not the other fan shroud). When taking out the shroud check for this wiring.

The fan plugs have a built in clip system that locks them together. As I recall try squeezing the center of the outer plug (on wide side of plug) will pulling.

First suggest you test the system. Both fans should turn on and off as the A/C compressor turns on and off.

If no operation of the condenser fan use a voltmeter to check for power when the A/C compressor is operating. Sometimes a relay can fail rather then the fan.

Thanks for your response.

I think that temp switch is on the radiator fan side, as when I looked up pictures of a pulled condenser fan I only see the fan plug wire coming out of it.

I maxed out the AC in my car and had my hood open - the radiator fan spins but the condenser fan doesn't spin.

I don't have a voltmeter handy - is there a way to check if it's a bad relay? Where is this relay located? Could it be a blown fuse?

From what I can tell, it looks like I could actually pull the condenser fan facing top-down from it instead of having to get underneath the car - is this fine?

toyomoho 08-29-2012 10:55 AM

Check CDS Fan 30A fuse.

You can apply 12V to the fan plug. White wire is positive, red is negative.

Yes, best to remove the fan coming out from the top. Take the fan shroud out (metal frame that holds the fan) with the motor/fan still attached.

The temp switch is on the fan side. This wiring routes some place on one of the fan shrouds to connect to the chassis wiring. Check if the wiring is attached to the shroud you are removing, it may or may not be.