Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   Issue with a short circuit, need help (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/issue-short-circuit-need-help-38799/)

xle_swift 06-02-2011 02:04 AM

Issue with a short circuit, need help

I recently bought a 2000 camry xle. Everything was working fine until one night when I exited the car and couldnt lock my doors by pressing the lock button (i could usually lock it without the engine being on). I then noticed that my dome light, visor lights and clock werent working either. My clock went blank. My mechanic took the fuse related to this, installed a brand new one and it burnt right away. He told me that it was probably a short circuit somewhere and that it isnt worth it, a lexus mechanic later told me it could take 20 minutes to find just like it could take 4 hours. I know it isnt a big deal but it is annoying. Anyone have any tips for me so that I can attempt to fix this problem myself???
The car used to have a remote starter that was removed before my sister bought the car, who in turn sold it to me, would this have anything to do with it and if so, why now and not shortly after the remote starter mechanism was uninstalled

toyomoho 06-02-2011 10:31 AM

Which fuse keeps keeps burning out?

Typically the wiring just does not short out. As such issue like the removal of the remote starter become suspect. The cars wiring had to be cut in order to install the remote. Perhaps the re-spliced wires are the problem. Why now, don't know.

Known issues for that might cause a short are failure of the wiring running between the drivers door and chassis. The constant door usage results in excess flexing of the wires, they can break, short, etc.

Sometimes the dome light switch melts (the one on the dome light itself).

full house 06-02-2011 11:41 PM

at first short circuit is really the issue here or wiring disconnect reason why it didn't work properly.

doc31013 01-21-2023 06:31 PM

Did you figure it out?

Originally Posted by xle_swift (Post 64031)
I recently bought a 2000 camry xle. Everything was working fine until one night when I exited the car and couldnt lock my doors by pressing the lock button (i could usually lock it without the engine being on). I then noticed that my dome light, visor lights and clock werent working either. My clock went blank. My mechanic took the fuse related to this, installed a brand new one and it burnt right away. He told me that it was probably a short circuit somewhere and that it isnt worth it, a lexus mechanic later told me it could take 20 minutes to find just like it could take 4 hours. I know it isnt a big deal but it is annoying. Anyone have any tips for me so that I can attempt to fix this problem myself???
The car used to have a remote starter that was removed before my sister bought the car, who in turn sold it to me, would this have anything to do with it and if so, why now and not shortly after the remote starter mechanism was uninstalled

Did you figire it out? My car has the same issue

toyomoho 01-22-2023 02:23 PM

What is the problem?