Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   Kit for roadtrips ... (Emergency Kit) (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/kit-roadtrips-emergency-kit-39706/)

Camry84 11-16-2011 08:53 PM

Kit for roadtrips ... (Emergency Kit)

I'm sure most of us will agree that it's good to have the following for any roadtrip:
Spare Tire (fully inflated)
Jack, Lug Wrench

See below for comprehensive list of essential and handy items to keep in your car for roadtrips.

What do you suggest having along for a roadtrip (day trip or longer)?
Or perhaps you only commute with your car, what do you suggest having along for your daily commute?

Thanks for your input!

full house 11-16-2011 09:16 PM

I agree!Those are necessary and with the question, longer I prepare.

Camry84 11-16-2011 11:13 PM

Prioritized List ...

Living in a rural location in the Pacific Northwest, I like to be prepared, unexpected weather, road washouts, slides, forest fires, accidents can and do happen here.

Here's a prioritized list of things I'd like to have along but how much I take with me on any given trip would depend greatly on my location, length of trip, possible weather conditions, etc.

I think I'll group some of these items into several easy to recognize packages:
(This will make them easier to stash in the trunk or have handy to take along).

A) Emergency Kit (and Survival)
B) Tool Kit (Mechanical/ Electrical)
C) Handy Stuff (but non-essential items)
D) Roadtrip (for longer trips)
E) Winter Kit

A Cell Phone is always nice to have along but there are times and places they do not work. (Of course, according to Murphy that is where you will most likely break down).

) Essential:
Spare Tire (fully inflated)
Jack, Lug Wrench

2) Really Should Have:
Flashlight (Extra Batteries)
Fire Extinguisher
Flares or Reflectors
First Aid Kit (Including essential medicines you might need, Insulin, severe allergies, etc)
Space Blanket
Maps of area & Compass

3) Very Basic Tools:
Slot Tip Screwdriver
Philips Screwdriver
Pliers
Crescent Wrench
Jumper Cables
Trash Bags (Instant Rainsuit)
Small Tarp or plastic (why lay in the mud)
LED light (with long cord that plugs into the cig lighter)

4) For Longer Trips:
Blanket
Water
Hat or stocking cap
Jacket
Food (Power Bars)
Matches

5) Electrical Repair:
Fuses (Variety of sizes and Amps)
Spare Bulbs (Turn/ Stop/ Dash?)
Insulated Wire
Wire Cutter
Test light
Tape

6) Additional Very Handy Tools when needed:
Baling Wire
Duct Tape
Leatherman's Tool
Spark Plug Socket
Set Open/ Box Wrenches (Metric)
3/8" Drive Ratchet
Set 6 point Deep Well Sockets (Metric)
Extensions, short/ long
Vice Grips
Hammer (go easy with this one)
Chisel
Form-a-gasket

7) Winter Months:
Tire Chains (Cable type)
Fold-up Shovel
Bag of Sand
Gloves

*** And don't forget dog food & water for Rover if they are going along for the ride.

toyomoho 11-17-2011 10:32 AM

A great list.

If the car is not a stick shift, el cheapo jumper cables. Sometimes batteries just die at the wrong time.

If your area ever gets snow carry tire cable chains in the winter. Check Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc which sell them very cheap. Like a spare tire, rarely needed but when needed nothing will substitute.

A couple of large trash bags that can be made into a rain suit maybe a space blanket which when in the package is very compact.

Might look into an LED light with long cord that plugs into the cig lighter. LED's take little power but have a very bright light. Nothing beats good light when doing repairs at night in the middle of nowhere.

Also carry a small tarp or some el cheapo plastic sheeting. Have needed to get under the car for repairs, why lie on a wet or muddy surface when wearing decent cloths.

Camry84 11-17-2011 01:58 PM

Thanks for adding to the list Joey ...
... I plugged your items into the list above.

OldElPaseo 11-17-2011 07:39 PM

spare tire and jack of course. also a small tool kit of basic tools. on long road trips i carry a couple of spare parts that might fail without warning, like a distributor cap and vacuum sensor. because if they fail, you're screwed.
And very important.a bottle of tequila if i am sleeping at a hotel on my trip.

ukrkoz 11-17-2011 09:02 PM

Slot Tip Screwdriver
Philips Screwdriver
Pliers
Crescent Wrench

it's called Swiss army knife, or similar. surprisingly, I did not notice a knife, as a cutting tool, on lists. Good Leatherman knife can go far, far in need.

Leatherman multi-tools: Surge

btw, 12V tire pump/light combo is invaluable.

ukrkoz 11-17-2011 09:07 PM

Leatherman multi-tools: Crunch

and this does not take much space in trunk, but has many uses. bit awkward to work with, yet..

Amazon.com: Black & Decker MSW100 Ready Wrench: Home Improvement

Camry84 11-17-2011 09:21 PM

Ah yes, OldElPaseo,

Must not forget the "After driving" maintenance kit.

Great idea on taking along a few spare parts, I guess we each know our cars best to know which spare parts we should take along but electrical components are probably at the top of that list for many.

A well sealed gas can might also be a welcome addition for those of us who occasionally get below the 1/4 tank mark I suppose but I usually don't bring one.
I always carry extra gas and oil in my 4WD Toyota but that's probably outside the scope of this thread.

In older cars it may also be a good plan to have a spare key hidden somewhere.

Appreciate your input too Full House!

Camry84 11-17-2011 10:01 PM

Great additions Ukrkoz,

I'll be adding yours and OldElPaseo's suggestions to my existing list above.

I totally agree on the Leatherman's, I've got the "Super Tool".
That "Crunch" model looks like a VERY handy tool ... now I want one.

Tire pump/light combo ... very handy, especially if you bring along a patch kit too.

Never seen a Ready-Wrench but it looks like a nice compact and easy to use tool. (The sockets are cast to fit both standard (SAE) and metric bolts, and they have a special six-point socket design) ... OK, I want one of these now too! :rolleyes:

All tools that would likely get most any job done but very compact, helping to avoid having to carry a complete toolbox.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I like to be prepared but also like to keep it fairly simple ... I think, in the long run, I'll be able to make up a good kit or kits without having to fill the whole trunk.