DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

moon roof electrical please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:17 PM
Default moon roof electrical please help

Purchased a 99 camry for my work save money car. The car used to have a security system. The moon roof is not getting power. I noticed under the dash there is a red and orange wire they are cut. I traced them to the moon roof. Where do these wires connect back into? Also how do I access the moon roof motor. Thanks

Old 10-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Red goes to motor control switch from the Dome fuse.

Is the orange wire solid or does it have a stripe?

You may have to remove the headliner to access the motor. Motor is which is forward and center of the window opening.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:52 PM

Thanks for your response. It is solid orange. Also when I turned the dome light in the on position it wont come on, but the door ajar light comes on. Dome works normal when doors open and close.

Thanks

QUOTE=toyomoho;87764]Red goes to motor control switch from the Dome fuse.

Is the orange wire solid or does it have a stripe?

You may have to remove the headliner to access the motor. Motor is which is forward and center of the window opening.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-28-2014, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Can't find any solid orange wires going to moon roof.

Does the car have auto light turn off?

The dome light always has power, the dome switch directs how the light is grounded. Manual ON directs ground wire from bulb to chassis ground. Door open ON/OFF, directs the ground wire to door switches via the integration relay.

If the car has auto light turn off, the auto off is controlled by the integration relay via another circuit then non-auto off.

When the door is open, the door switch closes to ground the system wire to chassis.

Door ajar light comes on when the door switch grounds this circuit.

The dome light (door open ON/OFF) and door ajar light ground wiring is interconnected at the integration relay. It could be possible the dome light switch has a problem and is grounding the wire going to the integration relay instead of light bulb. The result is the door ajar light is now grounded.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:41 AM
Default Orange

It does have auto lights. The Orange and read wires go into fuses that are in line with the wires. Not to a fuse box. 3 amp I believe. Is it possible that since the car used to have a security system they cut the wires to the moon roof and spliced then into the security system? The only reason I know it's the moon roof wiring is I hooked a 12v battery to the red and orange and the lights on the sun roof lit up

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Can't find any solid orange wires going to moon roof.

Does the car have auto light turn off?

The dome light always has power, the dome switch directs how the light is grounded. Manual ON directs ground wire from bulb to chassis ground. Door open ON/OFF, directs the ground wire to door switches via the integration relay.

If the car has auto light turn off, the auto off is controlled by the integration relay via another circuit then non-auto off.

When the door is open, the door switch closes to ground the system wire to chassis.

Door ajar light comes on when the door switch grounds this circuit.

The dome light (door open ON/OFF) and door ajar light ground wiring is interconnected at the integration relay. It could be possible the dome light switch has a problem and is grounding the wire going to the integration relay instead of light bulb. The result is the door ajar light is now grounded.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Toyota does not use inline fuses such as in aftermarket equipment. The wiring may have been installed or modified by someone.

The wiring diagram has no solid orange wires.

Check Dome, Door and Gauge fuses which also power roof. If power windows work, the Power fuse is OK.

You might try removing the roof switch box and compare what colors you see here with those your writing about.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:56 AM
Default another problem

another problem I noticed I am Not sure if it is tied in with the cut wires to the moon. the emergency brake light on the dashboard randomly comes on and off as well as the lights on the heating and air controls are out. but they randomly came on today for a minute

QUOTE=toyomoho;87783]Toyota does not use inline fuses such as in aftermarket equipment. The wiring may have been installed or modified by someone.

The wiring diagram has no solid orange wires.

Check Dome, Door and Gauge fuses which also power roof. If power windows work, the Power fuse is OK.

You might try removing the roof switch box and compare what colors you see here with those your writing about.[/QUOTE]

Old 11-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Gauge fuse powers climate system lights plus others including glove box light. Is this light working, if so there is a wiring problem. The wiring has junction boxes between fuse and various bulb circuits.

The E-brake switch grounds the bulb to complete the circuit. Does light come on when E-brake set? The light is also connected to the brake fluid level switch, check brake fluid.