DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

need help with 95 camry electrical

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Default need help with 95 camry electrical

Hello im new to the forum i may purchase a 95 if i can get it started and hear it run.I have tried these things so far the vehicle was moved under its own power before i got to it.

The battery that was in it at first had been run down so i tried the obvious first jump start put key in turned to start nothing ok so i was told there was another new battery in the car which i put in at first i had the battery facing wrong way and touched the opposite terminals sparked i immediately removed and proceeded to install the correct way.

I put key in i have door ajar light headlights high beams and illuminated ignition light i turn key to start not even a click from the starter with key on im not getting any blower fan running in any position no radio etc .

The next step i take is to try fully charging the supposed new battery in that time i pull another battery from a starting vehicle and i have the same results i notice when i connect the negative terminal the negative side doesnt spark when i went to put it on ok got a full charge on that new battery same results.

Now a test light one end hooked to neg terminal battery power lights positive side on starter lights has power checked.

Some of the fuses in the engine fuse panel the one with the main engine relay ill refer to as eng 1 the other is next to the fender and houses fan 1 fan 2 etc hence eng 2 and the last panel i know of is drivers compartment near left knee this car is missing that cover so i dont know what fuse is what inside that compartment.

I'm wondering if i shorted a relay or a fuse that lets the power feed to the ign hence no click of starter with key to start also tried to see if the neutral safety was a problem i shifted the shifter by the depress button to shift to neutral tried starting same problem. That was after i shifted it a few times and put back to park tried again nothing would that main engine relay possibly be the problem or is there a fuse or relay for the starter that would cause the problem.

I'm having I'm just wondering why i would not get the other accessories if the battery is good blower motor etc unless it is a main relay

Last edited by toyomoho; 10-23-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Easier to read
Old 10-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Typically when the battery connections are reversed a fuse(s) blows, but which fuse(s) can vary.

Determine what electrical items still work, such as head and tail lights, brake light, dome, horn, heater blower, etc. This will help narrow down the problem.

The electrical system has various fuse designs. Some are the typical design as found in the drivers compartment knee box, others look like bigger rectangle boxes which are BOLTED into the fuse box.

Check these fuses inside boxes in the engine compartment; 100A Alt fuse, 40A AM1, 30A AM2, 40A Main.

For the smaller fuses, check all you can find. In the knee fuse box, check the 15A and 7.5A fuses first.