DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

OBD Code P0441 & P0446 Evaps

Old 06-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Default OBD Code P0441 & P0446 Evaps

Has anyone received this code? Where do you start trouble shooting to determine which part could be the bad item?

On OBD-Codes.com they say they're several causes:
Bad Vacuum Switch
Broken or Damaged EVAP line or Canister
Open in PC purge command circuit
Open or short in Voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid.
Faulty purge solenoid
Restriction in EVAP solenoid, line or canister
Corrosion or resistance in purge connector
Bad PCM

The possible solutions are, repair everything, except Purge Solenoid, and vacuum switch, which it says, Replace those.

I guess I can use the shotgun trouble shooting technique, and replace the two items that say to replace.

If that doesn't work I can start trouble shooting the lines.

Does anyone know if the Canisters can be replaced?

Old 06-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Year, engine type?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:11 PM

Oops, 2000 Camry CE, I believe L2.2 engine. Auto Tranny

Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

P0441 Pressure in canister does not drop during purge, during purge cutoff pressure in canister is low compared to atmospheric pressure.

P0446

The computer is detecting one of the below:

When the VSV for the vapor pressure sensor is off there is no continuity between the vapor pressure sensor and charcoal canister.

When the VSV for vapor pressure sensor is on there is no continuity between the vapor pressure sensor and gas tank.

Once the EVAP system has been purged the pressure in the canister is equal to the atmospheric pressure (the system has a leak).

Items to check are a malfunctioning VSV valve for either the vapor pressure sensor or EVAP valve and their wiring, bad vapor pressure sensor, damaged or disconnected hoses, cracked canister, fuel tank overflow valve damaged.

Toyota has a TSB out on some years to inspect the hoses and pipes between the EVAP VSV and charcoal canister for leaks and replace the vapor pressure VSV and canister.

Suggest starting out by checking the vapor pressure VSV, this is the vacuum valve on the canister and the canister itself. Overfilling the tank may lead to issues with the canister failing due to gas getting inside the can.

Rather then shotgun see private message sent (your notifications).

On same Camry the steel pipe running from the filler (gas cap) to the tank corrodes (rust through) and as a result leaks air. The gas tank can not hold pressure but this might be another code issue.

Canisters are very expensive if purchased from the dealer, less expensive if purchased aftermarket. Yes, they are available typically coming with the VSV valve attached.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 AM

Thanks Joe,

Paul

Old 09-02-2011, 03:55 PM

I know this is an old post,but selanac if your still out there......,did you find out what was throwing the P0441/P0446 codes?I'm getting the same codes,I also have 2000 camry 2.2L auto......thx