DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Oil rubber gasket question

Old 08-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Default Oil rubber gasket question

Hey guys I am new to this forum! My sister recently got a 07 camry and I am doing maintenance for her.

So I do the first oil change and I notice on the drain plug that there is a metal washer and I look more close and seems like there was also a rubber gasket but was almost all gone(deteriorate).

So I am wondering if I the rubber gasket is necessary. I just did the oil change without one. I dont know if its gonna leak later on during the week but No leaks as of right now. Also I use mobil 1 and dont want that to go to waste.

Also another question. When I was doing the oil change I pull on the wrench reaLLLL real hard to the right. I forgot right was tight and left was loose. I remember my moms car oiil drain pan was once stripped by the mechanics. Well no leaks.. No leaks as of right now. Did the metal washer just save my ***?? Well I hope it is not stripped.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:47 AM

No offense meant, but maybe she should have someone more qualified do her services.

JJ

Old 08-12-2009, 02:25 PM

lol since when did you have to be qualified of any sort to do oil changes on your own. I was just asking if a rubber gasket was necessary on the 07 camrys because I am not familiar with the car. Well as of right now no leaks so I guess I am fine.

and BTW qualified dont mean ****. Ive had mechanics **** up before too.