DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Other places to jack up an engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Default Other places to jack up an engine

2002 Toyota Camry 4 cyl.

I'm releasing the engine mounts and jacking up an engine to separate it from the chassis (by just a few inches).

I have to jack up the engine to retap an oil pan bolt hole (one of the holes is only 2.3" from the chassis and I can't get an offset drill in the engine block without drilling crooked.

I know the recommended procedure is to jack it up via a jack and wood, using the oil pan as the contact point. But if I'm trying to get to a bolt hole in the engine block and the oil pan is on it, how can I? Yes, I could drill through the pan hole but I don't want to make the pan hole any bigger.

Are there other places to jack up an engine besides the oil pan?

Any help is appreciated, guys.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:48 PM

i need pictures of this bolts location to be sure to say exactly where to jack

if lifting take off the torque mount up top

which end of the motor is the problem .. the gearbox can take a bit of lifting -

--if nearest the harmonic balancer -with engine mounts undone engine mount brackets

with out more detail
may I suggest a small 2 or 3 stage bottle hydraulic jack

jack with the round head --- you have more options

picture and price
Amazon.com: Sunex 4904A 4-Ton Bottle Jack: Automotive Amazon.com: Sunex 4904A 4-Ton Bottle Jack: Automotive

Last edited by dirty hands; 04-21-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:54 AM
Default I will get you a pic

I only need to take the the top mount off? Won't the three on the bottom keep it from separating from the frame (chassis) of the car?

It's the passenger side of the engine.

I have a 2-ton jack and stands like the one shown here:

Old 04-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

An inch of lift?

If oil pan is still on, lift at pan then block under trans. If not use a block against the engine pan mating surface and jack there.

Or get a 4 x 4 (plus whatever small boards needed to raise 4 x 4 to clear engine items) to span the width of the engine compartment. Place these boards on inner fender lip inside engine compartment. Then lift engine from below and secure with chain, etc. between someplace on top of engine (perhaps fitting for dog bone mount) and 4 x 4.

You have a DeTomaso automobile?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Default Sounds good, but

Do I need to release the three bottom engine mounts before doing any of this?

Your first option sounds easiest, although I don't know what, " ...lift at pan then block under trans" means. Does it mean to place a block of wood on top of the jack and lift it up on the oil pan mating surface, then place jack stands on the transmission?

No, I don't have DeTomaso. That's just a Google picture to illustrate the jack and stands I have. I have a 2002 Toyota Camry 4 cyl.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

The best method would be to lift the engine from the top with a hoist. The engine weighs about 250 lbs and trans about 200 lbs. The engine and transmission mounts are hydraulic. Just how much upward movement they can take without damage is unknown. Thus best to unbolt them to allow movement. Could unbolt the engine and pivot around the trans mount.

The rear mount will support the weight off of the trans thus could attach the hoist to a beam in the garage.

The engine is bolted to the trans. The engine weighs about 250 lbs. You might be able to jack up the engine from the trans but the balance may be off causing the engine to tip forward.

If pan is off, could find a point on under the engine where a block can be placed against the engine mounting surfaces of the pan. The surface that pan bolts to on the engine. Place jack stand under the trans and engine.

If your only moving the engine up 1 inch if the jack fails the unbolted mounts (still attached to engine) should stop its fall. There is also the cross piece that's in your way to stop the fail. Plus can put a jacks stand or blocks under the pan area. The idea is the jack holds the engine up, the rest is safety in case the jack fails. The engine might drop some but you will not be injured.

A bigger concern is if jacking up the car, in this case have it firmly on jack stands.

My own two cents if not having a hoist is to just drill through the pan. The radius of the hole will only be slightly increased. A jack placed under pan, the mounts loosed or unbolted, the engine raised. Place jack stand somewhere under the engine/trans in case the jack fails.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:29 AM
Default Jack is lifting the entire car

I took the top mount completely off, and took off the nuts for the three bottom mounts. I put the oil pan on and used a block of wood between the oil pan and jack. When I jack it up, it does nothing but continue to jack up the entire vehicle.

I have the car on ramps to begin with. Is that hindering what I'm trying to do? Thanks guys.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Did you unbolt the lower rear engine dog bone mount? Location is the corner of passenger side and firewall on the radiator side of steering rack. It bolts the engine to the subframe.

Find the passengers side engine mount then follow the subframe to the firewall. Where the frame starts to bow out towards the engine the mount is on top of frame.

Suggest getting a stout board or pipe, then putting it across the top of the engine compartment. Then chaining or roping off the engine using the lift bracket. This would also help keep the engine in place if for some reason the jack fails.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:55 AM

No, I didn't. That's probably what's holding me up. Hopefully I don't have to take off the passenger tire to do it. I have the car on ramps. I'll take a look. Thanks Toyomoho!

Old 04-25-2015, 12:08 PM

OK, there appears to be no rear engine dog bone mount. There is nothing close to resembling a "dog bone" or other engine mount in that location. I've looked up engine mounts for a 2002 Toyota Camry, and there are four - all of which I have unbolted, including the dog bone engine mount (torque mount) that is on the passenger side, top side, just to the left of the engine top. I completely removed the dog bone mount. Here are the mounts:

Am I missing something? Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Other places to jack up an engine