DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

p0420 issues & CA compliant cats!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Default p0420 issues & CA compliant cats!

hey fellas!

not much of a poster here but rather an occasional viewer of threads! great forum! very helpful!

well, the time has come when finally something has gone wrong. i went to my mechanic to get my tires rotated and he informed me that the check engine light was on ( just turned on couple months ago) because of a p0420 issue. He says that the front cat is in need of a replacement and even if you replace the 02 sensor, i will not be able to pass smog because the whole unit is not working properly.

so i started to search around for a replacement and the thing is freaking expensive here in california! it's $5-800!!!! i tried to look for the part at a junk yard site, but to no avail.

I did find some nice aftermarket ones out of state for $300 but none of them will ship to me. Are the specs for the out of state cats different from the cats here in california? or is it because of some stupid rule that cats from out of state cannot be shipped here?

Anywhere anyone can point me to get an affordable replacement here in my state or any other alternatives? sorry... im a newbie..

my car is a 2005 camry 2.4L 4 cylinder. has about 204,000 miles on her! still running strong! no problems until this one.....

any suggestions? thanks!

-andrew

Old 10-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

California has the Calif Air Resources Board (CARB) which requires emissions equipment to be original or meet CARB specs and be marked as such.

The non-Calif parts may or may not meet CARB specs but the manufacturer may have chosen not to obtain CARB approval as this cost money.

You might check at Toyotanation.com as you aren't the only one looking.

If looking at an original part shop the internet for discount Toyota parts dealers to save a few dollars.

Or find someone out of state who will purchase the cat and ship it to you, but you will need to install it yourself as the mechanic can not legally do so.