DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Passenger Door Wil Not Open 1995 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Default Passenger Door Wil Not Open 1995 Camry

1995 Toyota Camry, 3.0 Liter, LE, Sedan, 2nd owner. location midwest - 180000 miles

Newbie but have done much work on my car - brakes, half shafts, trans fluid, oil change, tune up, struts, starter, alternator, radiator, etc. so not so much a novice. No engine rebuilding experience, more external. Did a clutch on my ford contour svt. No fun and by myself..

Drivers –

• Door Will not open but door locks appear to movewhen you hit lock and unlock. Only opened when I removed doorpanel ( difficult) then put my hand in there and flipped something. Key will not turn in door well.

2.After opening _ It opens andcloses easily then but will not open after I lock it.
Is it the actuator or a mechanism? Another thread you can connect me to?

Other info

Passenger –All ok except

• Key doesnot open or close the door well. Hard to turn.

RR – All ok

LR – All ok except
  • Door will not automatically lock or unlock. Mustbe done manually. Trunk- OK
No other issues with car.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Default Sorry its drivers side door.

I put passenger instead of drivers side door.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:26 PM

I just made another error . When I jimmy the door open then close it, it does not open. I think I did figure out why it won't open. With a flashlight and jimmy and window down noticed the handle inside and outside pull the door open from the same area. This area has a broken piece of metal and its not the metal cable. I am going to pull the latch out since that where this piece broke off from..

Old 12-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Default Repair of 1995 LE Sedan 3.0 l V6 Toyota Drivers Door Latch

I finally repaired my first latch on a 1995 Toyota Camry. The cause; a broken spring which difficult to locate and in the whole latch in dire need of grease ( used white lithium). Using my micrometer, determined the width, length, gauge and type of metal (grainger)for the spring. Plugged these into grainger site and found a close match and works. One of the hard parts was removing the latch, installing the latch and connecting the rods where those plastic fittings on the end broke ( hard to find replacements). I had to cut the door at two tiny sections since the inside rods are hard to access but helped. Later models have more open access. I f anyone has questions feel free to contact me. I rather not have someone go through what I did. There are no videos on this car or manual help as far as I can see. Also be prepared to get your hands chopped up. Par for the course. By the way grainger internet site and customer service( near Alsip Il) is the best. No, I do not work there.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Great job!

Thanks for posting back with the info.