DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

radio install help

Old 03-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Default radio install help

I went onto crutchfield and found that this is actually the pocket. How does the aftermarket actually secure to the vehicle though?

Seems a bit confusing lol sorry
I have a 2001 with a 2-din OEM head unit.

thanks

Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

There are brackets on the sides of the radio. The box bolts to the radio brackets to make the radio and box one unit.

The hole size in the instrument panel is 2 DIN. 2 DIN takes up twice as much height as 1 DIN. If 1 DIN the box would take up the extra space.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:15 PM

1.Slide the aftermarket stereo into the stereo mounting bracket that formerly housed the factory stereo, above the stereo storage pocket. Screw in the two screws on either side of the bracket, into the new stereo, with a Phillips-head screwdriver. If the aftermarket stereo that you have chosen does not have holes on the side that line up with the factory bracket, you will need to install a faceplate adapter.

2.Remove the screws on the side of the factory stereo mounting bracket with the Phillips-head screwdriver. Remove the pocket that sits below the stereo. Place the pocket and aftermarket stereo into the faceplate adapter (stereo in the top slot, pocket in the lower slot). Screw in the four screws (included in the aftermarket kit along with the faceplate adapter) on either side to hold the pocket and head unit into place.

3.Connect the stereo wiring to a wiring harness adapter. The wiring harness adapter will have clearly illustrated diagrams to show where the appropriate connections are to be made. The wiring harness adapters will plug into the corresponding plugs on the factory stereo wiring.

4.Connect the wiring harness adapter leads to the back of the aftermarket stereo. The wiring harness adapter leads will plug into the corresponding inputs on the aftermarket radio. Plug the antenna cable (black cable previously connected to the left side of the back of the factory stereo) from the Camry to the back of the aftermarket stereo.

5.Slide the stereo mounting bracket into the mounting dock. Replace the two screws on either side of the stereo mounting bracket with the Phillips-head screwdriver (for aftermarket stereos that are compatible with the factory mounting bracket).

6.Connect electrical wiring from the dashboard to the cigarette lighter on the back of the dash trim panel. Align the dash panel around the stereo and press it into place.

7.Place the negative battery cable clamp around the negative battery lead. The negative battery clamp is the component at the end of the negative battery cable that was previously removed from the negative lead post. Tighten the clamp onto the lead with the 10 mm wrench. Close the hood.

http://www.automd.com/
http://www.installdr.com/installdocs...PDF/869013.pdf

Old 03-08-2011, 01:17 AM

You can ground it to the chasis but make shure the battery is unpluged when you hook it up so you dont short anything out.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:32 AM

My friend just had his radio installed and he asked me to fix problem is im not to sure what it is he told me when he turned it up loud it shut off completley now it wont turn on and sometimes it starts up and says loading then turns off.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by jackgem
My friend just had his radio installed and he asked me to fix problem is im not to sure what it is he told me when he turned it up loud it shut off completley now it wont turn on and sometimes it starts up and says loading then turns off.
Its probably a loose or bad connection. A girl I work with had the same problems, it would shut off after hitting bumps and just randomly turn on. I'd say pull the radio and check for loose or bad connections.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:10 AM

armandjones82, if the holes don't line up, where would i find a faceplate adaptor?

Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 PM

what's the size of that??? where should that thing be installed? I Camry is loaded...

Old 03-14-2011, 07:35 AM

I recently bought a dual xhd6425 radio to replace the original radio in my jeep. I successfully removed the radio from the car but am now having trouble installing the new radio.