DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Rear window defroster PARTIAL working (98 Camry)

Old 02-15-2016, 06:48 PM
Default Rear window defroster PARTIAL working (98 Camry)

Hello,

I have a 98 Camry LE.

My rear window defroster works only partially. The first three or so lines at the top will defog, the rest will not.

Are there any fuses or relays I should check? I'm not a mechanic, but I can be handy with a multimeter.

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

The defroster is an electrical heating element bonded to the window. If part of window defogs then main power is reaching the defroster.

It could be one of the electrical conductors bonded to the window has broken electrical contact, the result is partial operation. This is common and there are conducting paints available to repair the break and Utube videos and other resources on how to do this.

Suggest an internet search on "repairing rear window defogger" and reviewing the hits.

Examine the heater layout and determine where the heating action stops. The area where the heating stops means there is a break in a line prior to this. The result being power stops at that point.

By observation of the heating action and using a magnifying glass you should be able to find the break then repair it with conductive paint. Follow the directions for any material you use.

The problem is common and so is the repair.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:50 AM

I used the Permatex Defogger Repair Kit and painted conductive lines. I had about a dozen broken lines and ran out of paint before the last couple, but it defogs a lot better than it used to.

Thanks!

Old 11-30-2016, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Great job! Thanks for posting back.