DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Setting Camshafts/Pulleys correctly after Timing Belt Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 04:50 PM
Default Setting Camshafts/Pulleys correctly after Timing Belt Removal

I have a 1998 Camry with the 3.0L V6 (1MZ-FE). After recently having the timing belt done, I found a pretty good oil leak coming from the front camshaft seal. First mistake I made was letting this one particular shop do the work (that's another story for another day). Second mistake was pulling the timing belt off before I loosened the camshaft pulley bolts. In the process of removing the front pulley, I turned it about a quarter turn clockwise.

Now that I've replaced the seals, I need to reinstall the camshaft pulleys and timing belt. How do I set them in the correct location? Can I just rotate each camshaft (and pulley) to TDC and then rotate the Crankshaft so that it lines up with its marks, essentially rotating each of the 3 shafts individually, to get them all in the right spot?

Not sure if I have to make sure I'm on a certain stroke within the engine cycle. I read that it can be done by going to the #1 cylinder and pulling the plug, but I'm trying to avoid removing the intake plenum, manifold etc.to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Old 03-27-2017, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, just rotate each pulley to line up its mark.

Once the belt is fully installed. Recheck for proper cam/crank pulley alignment.

This by rotating the crank two times CW and realigning the crank mark. Cam pulley marks should then be aligned. If not you need to remove and the adjust cam pulley alignment.

After completing any pulley alignment and belt fully installed. Always check alignment by rotating the crank two times as previously stated.

See private message. Disregard the info about having the belt installed. Your interest is the pulley alignment marks.