Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   Restoring the 'ol 1984 Camry DLX 5 speed S2-E 2.0L (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/restoring-ol-1984-camry-dlx-5-speed-s2-e-2-0l-39668/)

Camry84 11-05-2011 07:36 PM

Restoring the 'ol 1984 Camry DLX 5 speed S2-E 2.0L

New O2 sensor
Cleaned EGR (was clogged with soot)
Remove and totally cleaned throttle body and air chamber
New Fuel Filter
Injectors Replaced (Ultrasonic cleaning, backflushed, ohm'd and metered)
Complete TuneUp, PVC valve, Air filter, cap, rotor, wires and platinum plugs
New Timing Belt Kit (Belt, Idler, Tensioner & spring)
Fresh 10W30 Synthetic oil and filter
Most sensors ohm checked
Throttle position sensor tested and re-adjusted
Preventative Maintenance performed on Catalytic Converter
Engine cleaned, working on wiring looms, rerouting, waterproofing etc.
Car washed and waxed
Interior vacuumed, shampoo, ArmorAll and Scotchguard is next.
Fog lights installed, and wired up.
Will add headlight buzzer.
Spare and jack checked and trunk cleaned.
Complete Brake job done.
Tank is full ...

... she's ready for the road again ... almost!
(As Gilda Radner often said "It's always something")

toyomoho 11-06-2011 01:13 PM

Your efforts paid off. Go out and enjoy driving your car!

full house 11-09-2011 08:11 PM

congrats!That's what hard work can do... hope we can drive along together someday ;)

Camry84 11-09-2011 10:29 PM

Thanks to you both!

I had my head under the hood this morning and heard my timing belt slapping every time I revved the throttle slightly. I could feel the belt hitting the upper, plastic cover as I did this.
Have an appointment at the local shop to replace the timing belt, tensioner, idler and tension spring. It's going to cost me $300 parts & labor but I know they will do it right and I won't have to work in the rain (no garage).
I've done business with the shop previously and they are very good and IMO have fairly reasonable prices.

Car is still hard to start, surges at low rpms, does not climb hills as it should and my gas mileage has not been good lately.
I have a feeling that the belt slipped a tooth and a new belt will get me 60000 more miles down the road.

I was dreading doing the timing belt and suspected it for a while but ignored it until now. If it takes care of the issues noted above then I think it will be well worth the cost. Need my Camry running smooth again ... love this car.

Always appreciate your input, I'll try to help others in the future ...
... need the good karma ... :) ... thanks!

Camry84 11-10-2011 01:02 PM

New Brakes are next ... one of the shoes is grinding slightly when I come up to a stop sign.
Ordered OEM Drums, Rotors and Metalic Pads and I already have a set of new shoes sitting in the shop. I'll do it myself for about $120 total.
Not sure what it would cost at the shop but I'm guessing over $300.
Doing brakes is not my favorite task but it's not a real difficult job.
I'll throw the savings into the gas tank.

Then she'll definitely be ready for a nice long road trip.
Gas prices have prevented us from doing much pleasure driving since the Pickup only gets around 20-23 mpg but that's about to change with the Camry back on the road. My dad got 42 mpg in this car at one time, I think the high 30's is reasonable to expect when she's running right.
Friggin' ethanol they put in the gas around here cuts the mpg quite a lot, I think.

Camry84 11-10-2011 07:51 PM

Timing Belt was all but broken ...

Timing Belt is in and the car is working EXCELLENT!
Starts easy, idles nice, absolutely no lack in power.

Timing belt tensioner was loose and belt teeth were chewed off all along one side of the belt (3/8" of all teeth were missing). Other belts also replaced, new tensioner and idler pulleys replaced.

This car and driver are very happy!
Brake parts next week.

Camry84 11-16-2011 11:13 AM

Brakes today ...

My new drums, rotors and pads arrived the other day, I already had some shoes ... why I didn't put them on long ago is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Since my current shoes are grinding I knew new drums would be needed.
Getting new drums and rotors is cheaper than getting the old ones turned these days so that's the route I took.

Snow flakes and freezing rain today, of course, so I decided to give my arthritis a break and just have the local shop put these on. They quoted $180 to do the job which seems fairly reasonable. They always seem to go the extra mile and do check other things out while things are apart ... so I have little doubt they will do a good job and make the job well worth getting done there.

Other than some carpet and upholstery cleaning, wash and Armorall the dash I do believe the car is back to very good condition.

I do want to put together a road kit with flares, some tools, wiring repair, spare bulbs etc. in case I ever need them.

One happy '84 Camry back on the road again and using nearly half the gas that my pickup uses ... that's a bonus! :cool:

toyomoho 11-16-2011 05:40 PM

Great job on the car to date!

$180 seems fair for the work.

10% alcohol seems to cut MPG by 10%. There appears to be a growing backlash brewing against turning food into fuel at taxpayer expense and the fact that ethanol is not without its own health problems.

Might add to the tool kit some bailing or safety wire, or tie wraps plus a roll of heavy duty tape (duct tape) and a good flash light. If you want to carried away add a gallon of coolant or water. This and the duct tape have paid off when a hose leaked.

The weather is getting bad now but you should have some fun come spring with the car.

Camry84 11-16-2011 08:12 PM

Brake job ended up being $100 more than my quote but they found that two of the rear brake cylinders were leaking slightly so put in some new ones ... I have no doubt they were long overdue (I haven't changed them since I got the car back in the 90's). Front caliper cylinders were working fine so they left them alone (I had done the front brakes a while back).

Thanks for the suggestions for the "Emergency Kit" ... I'll add a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher to the list as well. In fact, maybe I will just make that a separate thread and see what others like to carry along on roadtrips or in their trunk during routine commutes.

Yes, we will definitely be enjoying this ride in the future. We live at the crossroads of the Columbia River Gorge and the Cascade Range so lots of nice rural roads to explore or visit again. Don't think I can wait 'till spring though ... guess I'll have to throw some cable chains in that "Emergency Kit".

Thanks for the feedback!

Camry84 11-27-2011 12:00 PM

Update:

Just wanted to report back after driving the 84 Camry on a few trips to let you all know that it's running fantastic. (Lots of power, runs smooth, starts easy). :D

Haven't refilled the gas tank yet so I don't know exactly what mileage it's getting, but I can tell you that the needle has moved very little after nearly 100 miles of driving ... it's obviously doing Much better than in the recent past.

Thanks to all for the help on various things.