DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Serpentine Tensioner Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Default Serpentine Tensioner Pulley

Does anyone have a part # for just the pulley portion of the assembly? This is my wife's car which I know little about, but I knew enough to know that was the problem. I have ordered two pulleys very similar, but not the right one. I have to do all my own searching as every parts store only wants to sell me the entire assembly. Everything is fine, except the pulley. Plus that pulley is not fun to remove, and I bet the whole assembly is worse. I would appreciate any help with this. I am ready to start searching scrap yards. At least then I could get one and have new bearings pressed in.
Thanks again. J

Old 12-13-2011, 06:56 PM

how can a pulley itself be a problem? it's simply cast molded piece of metal. bearing - yes. normally, you swap out bearing and reuse the pulley.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
how can a pulley itself be a problem? it's simply cast molded piece of metal. bearing - yes. normally, you swap out bearing and reuse the pulley.
You are correct. It is the bearings. The small town I live in trying to go about getting bearings instead of the whole part is like every time I tried to explain I didn't want the entire assembly. I work 2-3 jobs, and have very little time. I will just pull the part off again. Make them match the bearings then try to press them in with a vice. I have done this before but it was SUCH a pain.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 PM

you can't do that with very minimal time, you need someone to do it for you...

Old 12-14-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by full house
you can't do that with very minimal time, you need someone to do it for you...
sure can. it's socket and hammer thing. and steady hand. matching bearing is a different animal. that's why I gave all my business to CarQuest guys in Hermitage, TN - they were extremely efficient about matching bearings. 6 bucks - boom, done.

you know, for the time you wasted trying to buy a right pulley, you might have driven to a good store and have that bearing matched, think ya?

Old 12-15-2011, 11:18 AM

you know, for the time you wasted trying to buy a right pulley, you might have driven to a good store and have that bearing matched, think ya?[/quote]
Yeah, had this been my FJ62 or my Tacoma, I would have taken my time (as I can afford to have a vehicle down for a minute) this wouldn't have taken as long. Being my wife's car, everything is more rushed. She is great woman, but NOT patient. So I was trying to take what I THOUGHT was the quickest route from point A to B, take part off... put part on. Wrong. I know (very well now) how to take that pulley off. I have ordered the bearings. I will press them in or smack em with a hammer. I miss the Carquest here. Closest to my house. Knowledgeable. Was always worth the extra $ to buy from there. Sadly it is gone.