Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   Stripped Speed Bleeder! (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/stripped-speed-bleeder-52381/)

1989_Camry 07-03-2018 09:52 PM

Stripped Speed Bleeder!

I need your help.

I was bleeding my brakes with my speed bleeders and tightened the right front too tightly. It sheared off in half. My brakes sink somewhat, but I was able to drive 10 miles and the brakes worked every time. Also. either no or just a little brake fluid came out. Overnight, there was no loss of brake fluid.

How do I remove the bleeder screw that's stuck in the caliper or should I just replace the caliper?

Thanks!

toyomoho 07-04-2018 11:24 AM

Common issue. The internet has lots of posts with suggestions and even video's.

Can use a broken bolt extractor. Find one that fits the hole in the bleeder valve or drill the hole to fit. If needed grind the extractor to all it to set deeper in the hole.

Prefer extractors as the design in the link. This is driven into the hole, them rotated CCW. This design is less likely to break then the screw in extractors.

Bolt & Screw Extractors | EssentraComponentsUS

Can also grind or saw a slot in the top of the screw and use a blade screw driver to rotate.

1989_Camry 07-04-2018 11:27 AM

Thanks.

What's the proper size for the screw extractor?

toyomoho 07-04-2018 04:02 PM

The tools instructions will have the nominal hole size. This is also typically marked on the tool.

Gauge the hole size then find a too for this size. If the tool hole size is slightly larger then the hole, drill out the hole to match.

1989_Camry 07-04-2018 04:10 PM

thanks

1989_Camry 07-04-2018 08:14 PM

I used a screw extractor which fit okay, but when I used my drill counterclockwise, the drill separated from the screw extractor. Any suggestions? Thanks

toyomoho 07-05-2018 11:19 AM

The drill chuck separated from the drill motor or the extractor came out of the chuck?

1989_Camry 07-05-2018 11:25 AM

Thanks.

I mean that when both of my drills rotated the drill bit counter-clockwise, the drill bit separated from the drills.

This happened with my impact drill that has a hex-drill bit adapter AND with my other drill which connected directly to the drill bit.

Would using a regular drill bit work, ie drill the hole clock-wise, then reverse to pull out the damaged bleeder valve?

toyomoho 07-05-2018 02:25 PM

Are you using a broken bolt removal tool? A tool designed to rotate CCW. Do you have link to the extractor brand/type being used.

A standard drill bit rotates CW. If rotated CCW in trying to drill a hole, the cutting portion of the bit will be damaged or could break off from the drill shank.

There are left handed drills bits that rotate CCW to drill a hole. These will drill a hole and try to rotate the broken part (in this case the bleed fitting) CCW which may unscrew it.

1989_Camry 07-05-2018 02:42 PM

Thanks.

The screw extractor looks just like a drill bit.

I checked Ebay, but couldn't find the t-handle holders that would hold extractors this size (about M1 or M2)