DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Upgrading Rear Drum Brakes to Disc

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Default Upgrading Rear Drum Brakes to Disc

1989 Camry L4 with rear drums. I found a few simlar V6s with rear discs. I am unable to remove the donor car's disc rotors, despite seeing the hole to remove the 4 bolts that hold the rotor to the hub. The other side had a piece of metal completely blocking the hole (one side had easily removed rubber grommet). What size socket removes the bolt in there? I could not insert an 8 mm socket through that hole.

I was also unable to remove the axle carrier bolts, despite having a cordless impact drill and impact sockets. Apparently, junkyard donor cars are not high enough off the ground and the work space is really tight, preventing me from using a long enough cheater bar. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 01-10-2015, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

You can't remove the rotors? Have you backed off the brake shoes?

If rotors are still on the car, you need to remove them to access bolt. The rotor may have a couple of threaded holes to allow bolts to be installed and torqued to pop the rotor off.

If you can't get the rotor off, or axle bolts are too tight take the complete axle and carrier assy off.

Meaning unbolt the suspension rods and lower strut from the axle carrier. Then pull the complete unit off with the car. Then at home bench work on it.

If you can't get the lower strut off, unbolt the strut from the top mount. To access the upper strut bolts remove lower seat cushion by pulling up at the front. Then unbolt the back seat and remove. Then take out the rear deck.

Last edited by toyomoho; 01-10-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Default Thanks; clarification

My drums have threaded holes and I'm pretty comfortable removing drums. The rear disc brake rotors in donor cars do NOT have threaded holes, but rather one hole, about 10 mm and without threads.

I put the donor cars in neutral and released the parking brakes; the disc rotors spun freely.

I then used a flashlight and rotated the disc rotor to look for bolt, but did not see any bolts.

For the top of the rear strut mount, on my Corolla, it was behind the top of the back seat. Is that the same location on the Camry?

Thanks

Old 01-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

If the hole has a rubber plug (or not). It may allow access to the parking brake adjustment mechanism to back it off. This mechanism operation is the same as for drum brakes but the hole would be in the drum face.

The issue may be the brake shoes ride on the inner drum then wear a grove. The brake shoes will gradually move outward into the groove and not fully retract. The rotor may be able to turn but the shoes are now into the rotor groove preventing removal.

If this is the case you should be able to slightly move the rotor but it will seem caught on something. If the rotor is frozen then this is different.

If you can move the rotor slightly use a flat bladed screw driver to rotate what appears to be wheel having spars on it. I forget which direction loosens the shoes. Rotating the wheel moves a threaded bolt in and out of the threaded wheel housing. This moves the shoes closer or further away from the rotor drum. You will know what direction is away from the drum as the opposite direction will cause the drum to freeze up rotation.

Each side of the car is different and requires the opposite rotation of wheel to accomplish the same task.

Other options are to apply lots of heat from a torch or hit the rotor with a large hammer to break it free. You can put a piece of wood against the rotor to prevent hammer damage.

The rear strut mount is in the same location as Corolla. Behind back seat. As advised you need removed the seat and rear deck (easy job) to access the upper strut.

If you can't get the rotor off, remove the complete assy.

Also grab the flexible brake hoses and proportioning valve. The internet has info on just what parts are needed.

Last edited by toyomoho; 01-10-2015 at 02:53 PM.