DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

V6 XLE Engine Overheating Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Default V6 XLE Engine Overheating Trouble

i got an issue with my V6 XlE, 93, i change my raidtor last night which gives me heat now. but there's something else wrong with it. there is some flow goin my reservoir near my engine but not enough. everytime that i start it up, smoke begin to come out of it. should i check my thermostat out and see if it's close or open? if that's not the case, what else i should look into

Old 12-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Can you clarify a few things?

What did you replace the radiator?

There is some flow of coolant through the radiator but you think it is not enough? Are you watching the coolant flow through the radiator cap fill point? Does this fluid ever get hot?

Smoke comes out what, the tailpipe. Does this smell like oil or have sweet smell (coolant), or maybe just water vapor (condensation)?

What does the coolant temp gauge indicate on the dash, the needle should be in the center or slightly below center?

Old 12-30-2010, 08:23 PM

Can you clarify a few things?yes

What did you replace the radiator? i only replace just the radiator with an 94,

There is some flow of coolant through the radiator but you think it is not enough? there is some flow going through
Are you watching the coolant flow through the radiator cap fill point?yeah, everytime i start it up just to watch it, two minutes later it smoke near my firewall
Does this fluid ever get hot?i think so but not quite sure

Smoke comes out what, the tailpipe. Does this smell like oil or have sweet smell (coolant), or maybe just water vapor (condensation)? it got a mixing smell, letting the car warm up and turn on the heat for the car, it got the coolent smell to it and it's not sweet

What does the coolant temp gauge indicate on the dash, the needle should be in the center or slightly below center? the temp gauge is below once it warms up it shoot through the center and keep on going

Old 12-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

When the engine coolant is cool, the thermostat is closed and very little coolant will circulate through the radiator.

When the coolant is hot, about say 185F, the thermostat will be open enough to allow a good deal of coolant to circulate. You should be able to see this circulation by looking into the radiator cap filler hole.

If you have a thermometer (even one used for cooking), you can place one end in the filler hole then start engine and have it warm up. The coolant temp should eventually rise into the 190's. When the temp gets above about 197F the coolant fans in back of the radiator should turn on to draw air through it and cool the coolant down.

If your smelling coolant in the car, the heater core could be leaking coolant. This is located under the dash, check for signs of coolant on the carpet under the dash.

If you seeing "smoke" near the firewall this could be coolant leaking from one of the many hoses the car has. There are a couple of say 1 inch OD hoses going through the firewall to the heater core.

There may be a couple of small hoses, say 1/2 inch OD going to the engines throttle body area. These would supply coolant to warm one of the components on the throttle body.

With engine cold, look for these hoses and run you hands over them to feel for coolant.

Check the radiator hoses, if no circulation the upper will be hot, the lower will be cold.

If this is the problem typically it is the thermostat that is falling to open. Sometimes it can be a plugged radiator, but you changed this. The water pump blades can fail, but this is uncommon.

Make sure when replacing the radiator you didn't leave any rags, etc in the hose openings.

You may have two problems, something like a stuck closed thermostat and an issue with a leaking coolant hose.

The AutoZone website may have some detailed info on this cars coolant system in the sites vehicle repair section.