DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Amount of R12 in '90 Camry 3FSE 4 cylinder

Old 03-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Default Amount of R12 in '90 Camry 3FSE 4 cylinder

Hi,
Can anyone please tell me the amount of R12 in ounces that is needed to fully re-charge the AC system in a '90 Camry 4 cylinder 3FSE engine car? My sticker may be gone and my manual says 2 cans. Some cans are 12 ounces and others 14 ounces.

Thanks,
Sean

Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

600-750g

There is a site glass on top of the combo receiver/drier. Fill until there are no air bubbles in the Freon after the AC compressor has operated for say 15 seconds. You don't want bubbles when the compressor is running.

When the compressor states up or shuts down air bubbles will again form.

Don't overfill as in no air bubbles during start up and shut down!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the help. A 12 ounce can is roughly 355 ml. A milliliter is a cubic centimeter which I believe weighs a gram. My manual says two cans, so that would be around 710 grams? Does that sound right?
Now my manual shows a liquid and a vapor method for adding coolant. This is after evacuating the system as I am going to. After pulling a vacuum for an hour, the liquid method turns the can upside down and adds coolant thru the Low pressure side with the engine off. If not adequate, the manual says to turn the can right side up, turn on the engine with AC on full along with the fan, and put the can in a warm water bath and add the coolant thru the High pressure line? I saw a video where a guy simply charged his AC thru the Low pressure side by holding the can right side up and turning on the engine and AC as I described earlier.
I am evacuating my system and changing compressor gaskets, line O-rings, and the expansion valve. So I will have to evacuate the system when I am done once I get everything back together. My car is 22 years old and the AC just barely cools. I am recharging it with the old R12 stuff. I should work better that if I retrofitted.
My question is after I add all the coolant I can, could I just turn the can right side up, turn on the engine and AC, then finish adding the coolant that way? I am a little leery of adding coolant thru the High pressure lines as my manual suggests?

Please let me know and thanks again sir.