Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   DIY - Do It Yourself (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/)
-   -   Vehicle speed sensor (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-22/vehicle-speed-sensor-18872/)

catinhebert 07-26-2010 08:38 PM

Vehicle speed sensor

I have a Camry LE 95 3.0 engine with the codes P0500 (Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction) and P0720 (Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction)
Are those two sensors, or is the same sensor. Where are they,( or is ) located. Somebody HELP ME OUT! PLEASEEEEE?

toyomoho 07-27-2010 10:09 AM

Can't state for sure.

Some models of V6 trans had 2 speed sensors, one called a direct clutch or output speed sensor, the other a vehicle speed sensor that sends signals to the speedometer.

How is the speedometer working?

catinhebert 07-29-2010 03:15 PM

Vss

Thanks for the answer, the speedometer is working good, so I guest the output speed sensor ( direct clutch ) is the one working wrong or not working at all.I already located it. I am going to change that one first,( they are expensives). I'll let you know how it go. Again. thank you.

MichiganDriver 08-06-2010 09:26 AM

Please do share your experience with the VSS

I, too, am having some VSS issues. I have a 1997 Camry. Sometimes the engine light comes on. When I check the code at the local parts store, they tell me it's the vehicle speed sensor.

After a while, the light goes out again, so maybe the part is marginal. This has been going on and off for a year or more. Sometimes the cruise control will kick out and the light will come on. If I turn the cruise off and then back on, I can use it again even though the check engine light is on. Recently, the speedometer went haywire and the car had trouble shifting. After a while, that cleared up, too.

So, I don't know how serious the problem is or if i (or worse, my wife) is going to get stranded somewhere.

So, please tell me what you're learning in your experience.

Dwight_Mann 10-15-2011 03:45 PM

Hello all, I am new here and working on my own 99 Camry V6 with a P0500. The symptoms first appeared a couple of weeks ago intermittently. I thought at first it was a fuel problem because the car just seemed to lose power similar to running out of gas. It cleared up but with winter on the way I changed the fuel filter and acting on a hunch that it might be trans related, changed the fluid and filter. a few days ago the SES light came on with a P0500 and the next day my speedo went to zero on the highway. The way it is so intermittent it seems like a sensor for sure just getting worse over time. It IS expensive around $200.00 but my whole point is....there is more than one sensor. If you are having shifting problems (jerking in and out of gear), the speedo is acting up and the code is there it's a safe bet its the sensor but get the right one! I ordered one and then heard there were two. (Of course I had ordered the wrong one) The one you want is in the back of the engine area on the trans axle. It has a 3 wire sensor and on the top of it are three small phillips screws. It is easy to change can be done from the top. If you want to make it easier you can take out the air cleaner box as my arms are kind of big and its a tight squeeze. I proved out which sensor it was by unplugging it and seeing if the speedo becomes totally inop. Good luck all and I hope it helps.

Dwight_Mann 10-18-2011 06:54 AM

I got the new sensor for the speedo yesterday and have to tell you you might be in for a fight getting the old one out. From being in the trans all these years, it is almost corroded in and you will find it wont even turn in the sensor bore. You have to spray a good penetrating oil at the point where the sensor goes in the hole and Gently tap the outer metal sensor body back and forth using a hammer and long punch (or an 18" 3/8 extension is what I used) at the triangular points and when it turns fairly easily twist it out with a pair of pliers. You will be gripping and turning plastic so use care not to shatter it. Once you have it out you will see there is a plastic gear at the bottom. It is held in by a spring steel clip (you'll see) so pull the clip, transfer the gear and you are ready to re install. At this point you should not be able to pull the gear out if the clip is installed properly. Coat the sensor with vasoline and install with a twisting motion till the sensor bottoms out. I changed the sensor and no more problems with the code, speedo dropping out or erratic shifting. Once I had the old sensor I took it apart and noticed that IF you don't want to fight with getting the housing out, you could just swap over the top part of the sensor that is held in by the three screws. There is a small ball and spring under that plastic housing but if you take the new one apart you will see how it is set up. Toodles!

ChadwickYeakel 12-15-2013 08:08 PM

2000 Camery VSS

Replaced the vehicle speed sensor to clear up the speedometer and odometer problem associated with erratic shifting/ non-shifting. Car worked great for 2-weeks. Now same problem.

toyomoho 12-16-2013 01:57 PM

If the speedometer works the speed sensor works. Does it work?

ChadwickYeakel 12-17-2013 05:20 PM

Year 2000 toyota camery v-6 3.0l automatic with code p0500 showing failed (vss).
Speedometer erratic and transmission slipping and check engine light on.
Correct part number for replacement is su5634 or sc149. Removed old sensor after
using a 10mm socket, penetrating spray, a basin wrench to loosen sensor, and
large vise-grips to grab and work out. Swearing now and then seems to help also.
After removing the retaining clip and sliding out the plastic gear (teeth on gear
excellent), i installed it into the new vss and replaced the retaining clip.
Lubricated the "o" ring and worked it slowly back into the transmission. Replaced
the hold down screw, plugged in the 3-wire connector and patted myself on the
back for a job well done. My check engine light went out by itself after about 10
miles.car ran very good for two weeks and now the same situation is occurring.
If i leave the vss connector off the car it seems to shift pretty good. Unless there
is a way to fix it right i will use my gps as a speedometer.

ChadwickYeakel 01-16-2015 09:48 PM

P0500 temp/permanent fix

I disconnected the Cruise Control module under the drivers side of the dash and now the Vehicle Speed Sensor problem cleared itself from the check engine light. It is easy to do as it just unplugs. I have no cruise control now but after 1400 miles and no other problems noted, I am satisfied.