ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

05 2 dr Electrical gremlin

Old 04-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Default 05 2 dr Electrical gremlin

Hi guys and gals,

I have a 2005 2 door camry in my shop right now, with an electrical gremlin that has me boggled. Back in december, it had a new battery and alternator put in, and in january an update made to the remote start unit. Now, the battery has run dead, and i cannot figure out why, or where the draw is coming from. I put a test light on the ground cable and neg terminal of the battery, and started pulling fuses under the hood, nothing. Switched to under dash fuse block and pulled the RAD no.1 fuse, the light went out, but then the door ajar light begins to flicker, and the cluster freaks out, causing my test light to flicker. Spoke to a few friends, and they suggested to disconnect the radio. So i disconnected the radio, and tried again, with my test light. Still pulling a draw from somewhere. I'm thinking it has something to do with the shoddy remote start installation, but I'm at a loss for ideas, and where to look.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by sangelo; 04-01-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

What type of radio, stock, optional JBL system or ?

The cars electrical system is always drawing some current from the battery, engine off.

Suggest buying a low cost volt-ohm-millimeter.

Then ign key off and out of ign lock and door and trunk closed, etc. Remove the positive battery cable terminal. Check current flow between cable terminal and battery with millimeter when all electrical items off. Current should be very low, say 7-14 mA.

RAD No 1 fuse always has power to maintain radio memory.

Who made the remote start upgrade, the dealer. Remotes can cause drain problems.

Check trunk light is off when trunk closed. Sometimes an electrical relay sticks, make sure all items that are supposed be off with ign key are off.

Note, the alarm may sound when battery cable reconnected, be prepared.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:53 AM

Hi Toyomoho,
I wound up just leaving the radio disconnected. It had the optional JBL system in it, but the radio was somehow stuck on 1 station and would not change no matter what happened. The car had also been in an accident before the current owner got it, which leads me to believe that the wiring got messed up and was never looked at when repaired. Because I don't exactly have the equipment on hand to diagnose problems like so, i just gave it back to the owner, a family friend and told them to take it to a Toyota dealership or import shop.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Troubleshooting electrical issues can be tiring, more so when the wiring is bad.