ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

05 camry airbag light on---help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Unhappy 05 camry airbag light on---help

I have read a lot on the web about the light. I installed a radio and the neg battery cable was off for 6hrs. At this time I drove the car for about 15 min. and went to a party and when emerged 3 hrs later the airbag light was on and has stayed on-no blinking!

People on the web are telling me to disconnect the battery again to reset the electrical sys or computer etc. Other people tell me to get a obdII reader which states clearly that it does not read airbag codes!

I am really at my wits end. I have no intention of paying a dealer $200 or more to fix the problem. I don't know if there really is something wrong and the bag won't deploy or if it is the removal of the negative battery terminal which is the cause and I shouldn't worry.

Some company in GA claims to solve the problem for $49 but then again, they offer something that resets your speedometer! Illegal as far as I know.

So here I sit. If you can help I would appreciate it. Thank u.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Did you disconnect any cables that could have been related to the airbag to install the unit?

This works on a 07, might be the same as 05.

Find the ODBII plug under dash new steering column. The plug has two rows of 8 terminals, one side of the plug parallel to the column is wider then the other. Place this side up and face the terminals toward you.

The terminals in the upper row (the one next to the wider side) are numbered 1 to 8, left to right. The lower set are number 9 to 16, left to right.

Identify the number 4 and 13 terminals.

Turn ign system to ON and wait at least 60 seconds.

Use a section of electrical wire or bent paper clip to connect the 4 and 13 terminals.

Any current trouble codes will flash out on the check engine light on number at a time. Example 3 flashes, pause, 1 flash, longer pause = code 31. All codes are two numbers. When all codes have been outputted they will repeat.

Record any codes.

Keep the wire connected and turn the ign key off. The codes should clear.

If this does not work post back for another procedure.

Post back with any codes found.