ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

05 Heater, A/C and rear window defrost not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Default 05 Heater, A/C and rear window defrost not working

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me isolate this interesting problem that I found after I came back from a 3 week trip. My car was idol during this time. When I returned to it, I found the front window down and the climate control buttons located on the front center console not completely operational. If you rotate the vent heater defrost switch to the far right of the driver that works. However if you rotate the temp control from cold to hot that doesn't work. Nor does the ***** when pushed in to operate the rear defrost, A/C or the Max A/C. There are no light action within the *****. I had the manual out and checked all fuses under the dash that looked like they pertained to the A/C or Heat or defrost. I also checked fuses under the hood.
I am thinking I have a bad relay, but how do I determine which one?

does anyone have another idea?

Thanks
art

Old 05-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

My info is incomplete

Rear defrost may have a DEF fuse, some power may route through a MIR HTR fuse.

There may be a DIF relay powered by the GAUGE2 fuse.

The rear defrost appears to be a separate system.

There is another fuse box, drivers side behind the dash near where you left knee would be.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:30 PM

Joey, Thanks for the reply. I have, unfortunatly, checked those fuses from both the interior fuse box under the drivers dash and the one under the hood. This is a most perplexing problem because, as you observed, the systems involved are on separate circuits. I do not have access to a wiring diagram of the car. I wish I did. Does anyone know where a maintenance manual or wiring diagrams for the o5 camry can be obtained for free? I could then see if any relays were common to all circuits involved.
Thanks
art

Old 05-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Might try the Toyotanation website.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:14 PM

Thank you very much Joey for your help. I have a tough problem here that might end up in the shop.
art

Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

The systems on the newer cars are operated via a computer. This makes it much more difficult to run down the problem.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Default I have the same problem!

Hello "artk",
I have exactly the same problem, except I know what caused it!
I forgot to close the windows last night, and there was a big storm.

This morning the seats were soaked. My Camry started up fine, but I have the exact same symptoms, no rear defrost, no a/c, no front defrost, no ac/heat temp control, and no recirculating flap control. The fan blower is working fine. Everything else seems to be working well.

Same as you, I checked all the fuses, but they are all good. Perhaps the rain has shorted something out in the dashboard on the drivers side. I'm hoping that a few days in the sun drying out will make it all better, but I'm not counting on it.

Anyone else who might know how to fix this problem?

Old 06-17-2010, 12:20 AM

Been meaning to come back to the forum and rap up my problem with the solution. To the recent poster I am sorry about your failing HVAC system. I took mine to a technician that found my problems lied with an improperly wired after market stereo. According to the tech the stereo has two power systems and one was shorted on the fuse block and the other was connected to the same power source as the HVAC computer board located behind the HVAC ***** on the dash console. Over time, in this case about a year, the excessive power drain killed the computer board. Perhaps the interior of the car being exposed to rain with the window open sped things up, I don't think I will ever know. However the computer board cost apx. $700 with three hours of diagnostic and repair for a total of $1200 dollars. Yes the stereo technician is out of business.
i hope your problem is not so costly.
thanks for all those that posted with help and words of consolation.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back with the results.

These systems are now very complicated and as such expensive to repair.