Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   1985 Camry strange circuit (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/1985-camry-strange-circuit-46232/)

rsperson 06-26-2013 10:49 AM

1985 Camry Air Amplifier

1985 Camry - has a box in circuit that shows in few PUBLISHED wiring diagrams. The board smells smoked/burnt/failed.

His Toyota sources say there is nothing like that in the circuit. (revised - Air Amplifier) I wonder if it is one of those unpublished changes the get made mid-production to solve an immediate problem that gets later fixed differently.

I will try to get pictures and more details if necessary.

Thanks

toyomoho 06-26-2013 04:51 PM

What is wrong with the car to have your mechanic looking in this area?

Photos might help. But also the number of harness plugs, wires in each plug and wire colors. Is there a Toyota brand and P/N on the box or third party info?

Exactly where is the box, the area has a few boxes?

rsperson 06-26-2013 05:39 PM

1985 Camry - more info

Car wouldn't start. He finally determined it had a bad coil, ignitor (received first one bad) and now 2 injectors go open and 2 to ground (I think he said) - all from this box/board. Also had a few unrelated shorts in the harness now fixed.

No pictures yet - but he provided more info:

ND 077100-1061 stamp on circuit board . Toyota number is 88650-32020
Toyota said from 1981- 1985 used this circuit board their jargon name for this part is a air amplifier.

toyomoho 06-26-2013 07:20 PM

88650-32020 is listed as an air conditioner amplifier. It is used in the air conditioning system. See link below:

AMPLIFIER ASSY, COOLER STABILIZER. NO.2. HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING - COOLER UNIT (CAMRY (SV11)). TOYOTA CAMRY (1983 - 1986) # 8865032020, 8865032010

The part should not have anything to do with the injector system. It is shown in the wiring diagram as an A/C amplifier. Location appears in area you state, box is mounted horizontally.

The box may have a Black wire going to the igniter. Plus wiring to an A/C valve idle up VSV. The VSV is an electric powered air valve that increases engine idle RPM to compensate for the compressor load when the compressor is engaged. There is also a A/C cut off switch that cuts the A/C off for 3 seconds when the car is below 16 MPH and the throttle is opened 80%.

Beyond the above the system has nothing to with the injectors.

When the ign switch is ON, the injectors are receiving power. The injectors are turned on by grounding the return wire.

All injectors receive DC power from the ign switch. Some years of Camry had a resistor between the ign switch power and injectors to lower the voltage.

The ground wires of the injectors are paired in twos, then the two groups paired to two wires (yellow and white) which run to the engine computer. The computer then will ground one of the wires (yellow or white) to complete the circuit and turn the injector on.

The computer can vary the pattern of injector firing. It does this in part by using the two different colored wires.

rsperson 06-30-2013 05:18 PM

Mechanic cannot access this board

my mechanic has tried repeatedly to gain access to the forum. he has sent messages to the moderator - no response and no access. He is not a computer professional but a user. He has signed up to other boards.

He DOES have an AOL e-mail address but that shouldn't prevent his access.

His email address is LLEKROF@aol.com

PLEASE ALLOW HIM TO HAVE ACCESS

I think we need access to this board to get help to fix my car. Option 2 is to junk it because we are stuck here :mad: