ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Tail light issues

Old 03-10-2022, 09:50 AM
Default Tail light issues

Hello,

I have a 2006 Toyota Camry. No real issues with the car except the tail light keeps going out. The car is stock and nothing major has been modified to it.

I noticed something strange when looking at the left and right wiring harness. They have never been changed, but the left and right harnesses are different. I ordered the correct left harness according to Toyota, but it doesn't properly fit all the way. The original harness did not fit properly either.

Anyways, I have to drive with the lights on all the time because if they are off, only the middle and left tail lights illuminate when I step on the brake. Anyone had this issue and was able to fix it?

Old 03-10-2022, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Wiring harness is different, how?

All tail lights go out, one, two?

Have you changed ALL the tail lights?

Do the other lights work OK such as license plate, side marking lights, etc?

Any issues with brake lights? Do they work different when the head lights are on, off, etc?

Exactly which lights keep going out? Are there lights burning out?

Any issues with the backup lights?

Old 03-10-2022, 11:28 AM

Thank you for the response Joey.

If you are looking at that picture, the right light on the red section (the left light on the red section for the left tail light) keeps going out or it does not illuminate when I brake. I have changed all the bulbs and those are the ones that are giving me an issue.

I do want to note that on the left tail light, the left bulb on the red section has been so hot that it melted the tail light holding place some time last year.

The wiring harness is different because it does not allow the bulb to be locked in place completely. I can have it turned slightly so it holds.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:35 AM

Old 03-10-2022, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

If one bulb is getting HOT considering the following.

One bulb on each side of the car is a dual filament bulb. This bulb has two filaments inside one bulb, One filament is for the brake and the other is for the tail lights.

These bulb filaments have a common ground connection on the socket.

It could be both bulb filaments are on CONSTANTLY at the same time causing over heating. Check the light intensity of the hot bulb and compare to the other side.

If for some reason the two bulb circuits are crossed together this can cause all kinds of issues as the power can back feed into the circuit.

The bulb sockets are designed for bulb layout, are you using the correct bulb?