ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

2000 Cig lighter has backlight but won't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 02:19 AM
Default 2000 Cig lighter has backlight but won't work

There are 2 ports that you can put a cigarette lighter adapter into and run electronics, the actual cig lighter hole and the power outlet hole. The cigarette lighter has a backlight that lights the hole. My problem is this hole will not power any electronics, even though the backlight to the cig lighter works. I've checked and replaced the fuses for anything in the owners manual that says "Cig lighter," but with no success (34 & 37, even 29 but that's the power outlet fuse) There is a mention of "cig" somewhere else, but it went with a 40amp fuse. Does anyone have any sage wisdom about what could be causing this problem? ie no power from the cig lighter

This all started because I got a TPMS and after about 2 months a tire sensor went out and then the display started blowing the fuse everytime I plugged it into the cig lighter. I went through like 6 or 7 fuses not at all understanding why a tiny little display unit was blowing the cig lighter fuse, but it did. I never got the TPMS to work, but stopped plugging it in and replaced the fuse, but now the cig lighter doesn't power anything.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Does the clock operate AND keep correct time?

CIG is 15A.

You were plugging the TPMS into the CIG outlet?

It's possible the lighter outlet is bad. Check the outlet.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:58 PM

The clock keeps time and I can switch between the outside temp and clock. Yes, I was plugging the TPMS display into the cig outlet. You say maybe the lighter outlet is bad? How do I check the outlet?
Below is copy and pasted from the manual. As far as I can tell, everything on these fuses is working except for the cig outlet

34 - PANEL - 7.5 - Gauge and meter, audio system, cigarette lighter, glove box light, clock, instrument panel light control, service reminder indicators, air conditioning control panel lights, ashtray light, emergency flasher, seat heater control system, daytime running light system, rear window defogger, electronically controlled automatic transmission system
37 - CIG - 15 - Cigarette lighter, shift lock control system, power rear view mirror controls, theft deterrent system, power door lock system, SRS airbag system, seat belt pretensioners, outside rear view mirror defogger, air conditioning system

I checked 34 because has cigarette lighter as one of the listed items

Last edited by slider46; 01-14-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

If everything connected to the CIG fuse works. Plus radio and Power Outlet that are on the same circuit that powers the CIG fuse. The issue must be with the CIG outlet or wiring to it.

The outlet should be attached to a small removable panel. Once the panel and outlet is out. Check for 12V at wiring connection to outlet when ign key on.