ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

2002 Camry A/C Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:39 PM
Default 2002 Camry A/C Issues

Hi everyone. I'm having a bit of trouble with my wife's 2002 Camry (2.4L).

A couple of months ago the A/C started to become intermittent. It would work on one leg of a trip but wouldn't work on the next. Sometimes turning the car off, sitting for a minute or two, then turning it back on would fix it. Then it started to get worse. After about a month of this, the car would have to sit all night before the A/C would work again. Now it won't kick in.

When it doesn't work, the blinking light comes on and the clutch doesn't engage. Did research online and the only response I could find to fixing the blinking light is to replace the Mag Clutch relay as the factory one was defective. I checked and the one we had was the new one, but I went ahead and bought another (less than $10 online so not a big loss if it didn't work) and replaced it. As part of replacing it, I unhooked the battery as suggested. This, of course, reset everything including the idle, but the A/C was working again.

A day later after the idle calmed down the blinking light and hot air was back.

Took it into a shop with great reviews and they told us that the compressor and friends all needed to be replaced... despite me telling them that it had been replaced just three years ago. I know A/C compressor warranties only last a year, but they shouldn't be dying at 3.

I've wanted to test the pressure switches, but can't for the life of me figure out where they are located. The online Chilton book doesn't show a picture and I can't find them in the wiring diagrams either.

Does anyone know where I can check these and how to test them? Also, where should I check next? Not in the mood to replace the compressor and friends for over $1,200 if the problem most likely lies somewhere else.

Thanks!