ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

2002 Camry SE- ECU and radio harness advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:38 PM
Default 2002 Camry SE- ECU and radio harness advice

Hi all, I'm Lydia from Puerto Rico, my first post here.

I have a 2002 Camry SE with aftermarket system, a few years ago a music shop cutting the radio harness that come from the ECU.

I purchased a pigtail to rebuild the whole thing but some colors doesn't match.

Now I want to buy the whole harness in an online store.

The problem is, that the all harness I found for sale are from LE trim- no JBL system.

My question is :

Can I use those harness to connect it to the ECU?
Any possibility that can work?

Any help will be very appreciated, thanks.

Kind regards,

Lydia

Old 08-23-2017, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Did/does this car have Toyota navigation?

The JBL used a remote amp. Are you calling the remote amp the ECU? Is the amp still installed and working?

Did the replacement radio have a remote amp?

Are you trying to reconnect the amp?

Old 08-24-2017, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Did/does this car have Toyota navigation?

The JBL used a remote amp. Are you calling the remote amp the ECU? Is the amp still installed and working?

Did the replacement radio have a remote amp?

Are you trying to reconnect the amp?
Thanks for your reply @toyomoho,
I was wrong on where the harness connect, a guy told me it come from the ECU, yes I'm referring about the amp. Still on the car but not connected.
My car have all after market system so I don't want to use the OEM amp.

My concerns is if I can install a whole "new" harness and where is located the connection of it.

Last edited by Lydia Santana Padilla; 08-24-2017 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Info add.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

The JBL wiring connection plugs are for a stereo with the factory amp. The plugs for a stereo with built-in amp are different.

If your going to replace the current stereo having a built-in amp with another one having a built-in amp, there is no point in going back to the JBL wiring plugs.

The JBL wiring runs from the head unit (control unit in dash) to the amp. The speakers connect to the amp.

There may be two sets of plugs behind the radio for a remote amp and without. Look for signs of a taped over plug on the existing harness.

Toyota does not use standard wiring colors such as red for power.

Did the replacement radio work OK and connect to all the speakers? If so suggest reusing or adapting this wiring to the new stereo.

Otherwise, unless there are existing plugs for the stereo with built-in amp, you will need to do a lot of wiring and bypassing of the amp that is no longer used.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The JBL wiring connection plugs are for a stereo with the factory amp. The plugs for a stereo with built-in amp are different.

If your going to replace the current stereo having a built-in amp with another one having a built-in amp, there is no point in going back to the JBL wiring plugs.

The JBL wiring runs from the head unit (control unit in dash) to the amp. The speakers connect to the amp.

There may be two sets of plugs behind the radio for a remote amp and without. Look for signs of a taped over plug on the existing harness.

Toyota does not use standard wiring colors such as red for power.

Did the replacement radio work OK and connect to all the speakers? If so suggest reusing or adapting this wiring to the new stereo.

Otherwise, unless there are existing plugs for the stereo with built-in amp, you will need to do a lot of wiring and bypassing of the amp that is no longer used.
I just want to rebuild this to the factory stage.
THIS:
Insane? Yes.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Are you trying to install a radio with built-in amp? If so what type of harnes plug(s) does it have?

Try to separate out the factory wiring from any possible add on wiring.

Factory wiring below:

Gray is Radio 1 fuse = ACC. Goes to head unit and amp. This wire will power radio when ign switch is on.

Blue/yellow is Radio 2 fuse = B+ (battery power/always powered to keep radio settings). Goes to head unit and amp.

Pink/blue goes to amp from head unit.

The black, blue, green, yellow, white, red, brown wires go to amp. These wires should be shielded in foil.

The separate brown wire is ground.

Find the amp. Check if the wires to the speakers from the amp have been cut/spiced.

Speaker wires at amp are black and yellow, red and white, pink and violet, light green and blue.

White/black wire off of amp is ground.

Check wiring harness in dash as far back as possible for a possible covered harness plug that may be taped over.

Check above and post back.