Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   2002 Camry xle won't accelerate (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/2002-camry-xle-wont-accelerate-49941/)

Spidop13 12-25-2014 12:06 PM

2002 Camry xle won't accelerate

I recently had to jump my 2002 xle battery unawares I put the jumper cable on wrong and drained the battery, I fixed the cables and got the engine running but the accelerator will not work a coder told me the throttle body circuit malfunctioned so I got a new throttle body and the accelerator still won't work any suggestion?

toyomoho 12-26-2014 10:09 AM

What was the code?

Check ECTS fuse located in a fuse box in the engine compartment.

Spidop13 12-26-2014 04:00 PM

I don't know exactly what number the code was but the mechanic told me that it read throttle body circuit malfunction

toyomoho 12-26-2014 05:13 PM

Check fuse.

The throttle circuit also include the throttle pedal sender.

Spidop13 12-26-2014 06:52 PM

Thanks I had a mechanic who read that and changed the throttle body and didn't realize that it could be the pedal sensor until afterward, I had it towed to a shop tonight I will see what they say this probably the issue. Do you by any chance now the price of labor for changing this fuse?

toyomoho 12-27-2014 11:05 AM

The fuse and throttle pedal sensor are two different items.

Fuse replacement is very easy, a 5 minute job. Fuses are low cost ($1).

The throttle pedal sensor is more involved and more expensive.

Spidop13 12-28-2014 06:57 PM

Oh ok so I would be able to change the fuse myself, the shop that I took my car to will not open again until tomorrow morning I'm thinking that the problem may be the pedal sensor since the first person I took it to said that he changed all the bad fuses.

toyomoho 12-29-2014 01:39 PM

Great. Please post back with the findings of the shop.

Spidop13 12-29-2014 08:14 PM

So check it out, there was a light on in my trunk that would stay on because my trunk is tied down and not latched this light drained my battery so much that it caused the pedal sensor to malfunction. They put a new battery in problem solved 88 dollars. My only question now is did I really need a throttle body? And how do I know if a throttle body has gone bad?

toyomoho 12-30-2014 11:19 AM

The throttle now operates normally, if so operate car as is.

The dead battery could have caused issues as the throttle is electric. The throttle system is connected to the engine computer that interacts with its operation. A dead battery can cause the computer to need to reset or relearn.

As to throttle body, when the throttle electric motor fails the throttle goes to limp home setting or minimal throttle to be able to get off the road. Motor failure is not uncommon.

In your situation the throttle worked normally before the battery problem. In this case best not to assume more then just a battery problem causing other problems.

The throttle system fuse as noted can also blow.

Diagnosing the system requires service manual info. However one quick check for operation is to turn ign switch to ON and have someone operate the throttle while listening for smooth operation of the throttle motor.