Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   2005 Toyota Camry Remote Fobs Deprogram Themselves? (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/2005-toyota-camry-remote-fobs-deprogram-themselves-52897/)

jeffreyabr 06-14-2019 02:08 PM

2005 Toyota Camry Remote Fobs Deprogram Themselves?

I have a 2005 Toyota Camry that has been noting but a dream since I bought it back in 2008. An oil change every 3,000 miles has been all its needed in the 11 years that I've owned it.

Recently, however, I have had some strange issues with the key remote wireless entry fob.

I had two OEM fob remotes from the dealership where I bought the car. Both worked fine until last fall when my primary one started to work less often. I swapped the battery in it and it worked again for a bit. Then it failed to work sometimes just as before. At this point, I just started to reprogram it as needed following the steps here.

This worked for some time, but it would stop being as effective after a few days or hours in some instances.

Then I switched to the spare OEM fob, which worked for a bit.

Eventually, I was reprogramming this fob with the Add function and then eventually the Overwrite mode.

When I took the car in for a recent oil change, I asked them to check the battery, thinking that was the issue. They said the fobs were likely dead and so I bought new ones.

I programmed the new fobs, but after a weekend away, they stopped working when I returned home. Reprogramming them seems to get a day's connection before failing...

Is there any way to diagnose what the issue is? Do I need a new Door Control Receiver (89741-AA020)? Is that something I can simply pick up on eBay and put in the car or will that risk stopping the key from working or something?

The local Toyota shop quoted me $300 plus labor for a new ECU, judging it to be a failed capacitor, but if it's something I can pick up for $45 and fix myself, I'd much prefer that option.

Anyone with any insight?

toyomoho 06-14-2019 02:39 PM

The door control receiver does fail.

You can find used parts off of Ebay. Youtube should have video's on replacing the receiver.

Suppose if your resourceful can replace all the capacitors in the unit. A common function in older electronics.

jeffreyabr 06-14-2019 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 100705)
The door control receiver does fail.

You can find used parts off of Ebay. Youtube should have video's on replacing the receiver.

This is one of the Door Control Receivers that I found on eBay, matching the same part number in my vehicle:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-06-TOYOT...-/182775379071

I can access the part because I recently had my back speaker grills replaced and the panel is loose. I followed along with this YouTube video:

And replacing it looks simple.

Is there any programming or connecting with the rest of the car that I would need to do that would require assistance from the dealership? Or is it merely programming my key fobs with this newly connected Door Control Receiver?

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 100705)
Suppose if your resourceful can replace all the capacitors in the unit. A common function in older electronics.

As far as the capacitors on the ECU (which I am understanding to be a different component on the car?), I don't know where that is located or how to repair that.

toyomoho 06-14-2019 09:44 PM

Its just the receiver thus should not require programming. There is another computer for the door locks.

The capacitors are in the various electrical components. They can degrade due to age, heat, etc. then cause issues.

jeffreyabr 06-15-2019 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 100712)
Its just the receiver thus should not require programming. There is another computer for the door locks.

The capacitors are in the various electrical components. They can degrade due to age, heat, etc. then cause issues.

And since the door locks themselves work fine, then I should infer that the other computer that controls them is intact?

toyomoho 06-15-2019 10:40 AM

The doors lock OK using the door controls? It would be a good guess everything else is OK.

The receiver picks up the signal and sends it to the body computer which then operates the locks. All door switches also go to the same computer. The computer sends the actually signal to the door lock not the switch.

jeffreyabr 06-16-2019 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 100718)
The doors lock OK using the door controls? It would be a good guess everything else is OK.

The receiver picks up the signal and sends it to the body computer which then operates the locks. All door switches also go to the same computer. The computer sends the actually signal to the door lock not the switch.

Alright, hopefully we're right. I just picked up the Door Control Receiver for $30 on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/02-06-Toyot...5/273890861516

I suppose if this doesn't work, then I'll know it likely is the body computer as you mentioned, and I can try to prepare for the major expense. Since the car just crossed 80k miles, I think it'll be with me for quite a while and deserving of the fix.

toyomoho 06-16-2019 04:03 PM

Receiver failure is common including DIY repair.

If going to the body ECU consider used as this is another DIY fix..

jeffreyabr 06-21-2019 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 100724)
Receiver failure is common including DIY repair.

If going to the body ECU consider used as this is another DIY fix..

Three days of success with the new Door Control Receiver. I'm calling this a win and a solved issue.

Thanks for the help bud!

toyomoho 06-22-2019 11:55 AM

Great job!

Thanks for posting back with your success.