Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   2010 camry won't start. (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/2010-camry-wont-start-49832/)

angelyno55 11-04-2014 01:25 PM

2010 camry won't start.

Hey guys
I have a 2010 camry 4 cylinder that gives me trouble. After ran out of gas, i put 5 gallons, drove it for 10 blocks, and suddenly stopped. Didn't wanna start anymore. Took it to my shop, checked spark plugs, they were ok, replaced EFI rellay, replaced fuel pump, all the fuses are good. Checked the fuel, goes all the way to the injectors. If i poor gas, or spray in the intake it'll start. I checked the injector plug for power, when i'm not cranking it has around 11-12v, when i crank the engine, the voltage will drop. (idk if this is normal or not) i just don't know what else to do with it.
If you guys can give me any suggestions, will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance !!!

toyomoho 11-05-2014 10:19 AM

Died when driving or at idle?

Injectors always have power (INJ fuse), the ECU grounds the circuit to turn them on.

Depending on year C/OPN relay may control fuel pump via EFI main fuse and Ign fuse.

Is the fuel pump operating when engine being cranked? Did the new pump include the fuel pressure regulator?

Check for 12V when cranking and engine start (with external gas) at pump. Gray wire is plus, white/black ground.

angelyno55 11-05-2014 11:14 PM

thanks for the advise.
it was idling when died.
i messed with it today also.... it's getting fuel.... took out the spark plugs, cranked the engine, and i could see the fuel shooting out from each cylinder. Still, will not start. It tries, starts, idles really rough for 2-5 sec sometimes, and dies. Now i have 4 codes, one for each ignition coil. I can't delete them.
So, it's getting fuel, i have spark......

toyomoho 11-06-2014 08:55 AM

These are miss fire codes.

Check spark. Engine needs a hot spark, as in able to gap 1/2 inch of air and typically white in color.

Check into the throttle body for excess grime as a dirty throttle body can cause issues for this engine. Also check for operation of the electric throttle plate.

Did you can the fuel tank filter?

Try disconnecting battery for a minute to reset the ECU.

angelyno55 11-06-2014 12:52 PM

Did everything, didn't help. I can accelerate if someone feeds it with gas or spray through the intake. Spark plugs are wet. Can be some timing, or some sensor, cam sensor...???
Now, is the fuel pump should work when I turn the ignition on wit the engine not running? Cuz this pumps only when I crank the engine... is that norm a l?

toyomoho 11-07-2014 11:27 AM

Fuel pump runs only when engine running or starting.

Did the new pump come with the fuel system pressure regulator installed? Was the filter sock clean? This car has a quick disconnect on the fuel line, might check fuel pressure.

Check ignition spark quality at each plug and compare with each other. Crank/cam sensors affect timing. Timing is set by computer, the engine has a timing chain thus difficult for cam/crank timing to get off.

If engine starts with additional fuel then it appear a fuel issue. If pump runs, pressure regulator sets pressure, fuel goes through can filter in engine room then injectors. A Noid light will show if the injectors are actually working. Fuel pressure could be too low, too high or injectors not working.

If the engine did not run with additional fuel would suspect ign problems, but it does.

The list below is linked to all the codes:
Vacuum hoses issues
Ignition
Injector
Fuel pressure
MAF
ECT sensor
PCV system
ECM

angelyno55 11-07-2014 12:36 PM

thanks again for your response.
i bought the pump off of ebay for $40, and it came just the pump itself. Called around the stores, they asking $400 just for the pump, or $800 for the whole assy. No the filter was not perfectly clean, if you are referring at the filter that's attached to the pump. Spark plugs looks worn, but still sparks.
I disconnected the fuel line, it fills up a 0.5l bottle in a few seconds (let's say 10 sec.)
I'll check the injectors with a noid light.
I wouldn't like to start buying parts if i don't exactly know what i need.
Is there any way that i can test these parts MAF, ECT sensor, PCV system and ECM ?
it had a vacuum leak, but i fixed it.
What should be the fuel pressure?

toyomoho 11-08-2014 09:56 AM

The pressure regulator attaches to the pump, perhaps the pump already has it. It looks like the item in the link below:

More Information for AIRTEX / WELLS 5G1335

Fuel pressure should be around 45 psi.

You can test most components, pickup a Haynes service manual (around $20) or check with your library for manuals.

Doubt it is the ECM. PCV system is just a valve and orifice system.

Might also post at the Toyotanation.com site in the appropriate section.

angelyno55 11-08-2014 12:32 PM

thanks
i'll check the fuel pressure. so if it's much lower or higher than 45psi it's not good and can lean to starting problems? isn't the pressure regulator located on the injectors fuel line?

toyomoho 11-08-2014 07:14 PM

The fuel rail has a pulse dampener that stabilizes any slight pressure variations (pulses).

The fuel pressure range is 44-50 psi. If 20 or 70 psi when pumping there is a problem. Too low and the injectors will not spray the fuel well, to high and too much fuel is injected.

Also check fuel pressure after pump sitting off for 5 minutes, should be around 21 psi. If 0 psi the system is leaking down. Bad check valve in pump or leaking injectors.