ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

3VZ-FE engine manual transmission with automatic ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Default 3VZ-FE engine manual transmission with automatic ECU?

Hello from Germany!

I swap 1992-1993 3VZ-FE engines from Camry V10 into Toyota MR2 W2 cars.

Now I have a problem, most german Camrys have a automatic transmission.
Today I change my manual transmission engine ECU against an automatic engine ECU:

The engine starts normal and both engines run upt to 6500rpm until fuelcut.
But if I give full throttle the engine had no power until 1s.
And the complete enginge feels like lost of power.

Somebody told me, that the automatic ECU needs some contact to the transmission and that I must install a +12V cabel with an resistor to the engine ECU.
But I dont´know what I musst do exactly.
Somebody here with any idea what I have to do, that my automatic ECU runs correctly without an manual transmission?

Old 02-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Please clarify.

You put a 3VZ-FE into the MR2 that was from a Camry.

What type of trans (manual or automatic) did you put into the MR2. If automatic did this trans come from the same Camry?

Where did the manual trans ECU come from, the MR2?

If an automatic trans was installed did you connect the ECU wiring to the trans solenoids, speed sensor, etc.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:06 AM

Thanks for your help.

Yes correct I take the 3VZ-FE engine and put it into the MR2.
I use the old manual transmission from the MR2, this is the S54.
That fits 95% to the V6.

Both engine ECU are from the Camry, you can see this on the picture.
I only make MR2 car wire harness compatible to the 3VZ-FE engine wire harness.

What I know is, that I must jocke the automatic ECU, that the ECU think there is an automatic transmission, but I don´t know how to do this.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Owners have swapped an auto for manual and still used the auto ECU.

Typically the auto trans has 3-4 electric shift solenoids. Some of them had 2 speed sensors depending on model.

What model auto trans was the engine off of. Typically this would either be an A540E or A540H version. The model might be stamped or tagged on the trans.

The ECU will be looking for input from the electric solenoids. The computer applies voltage to operate them to operate. If the wires are not connected the computer will sense an open circuit.

There should be some kind of default trans shift circuit if a solenoid(s) fails.

To answer your question. To a certain extent you can fool the ECU buy installing dummy solenoids to simulate them.

This would just be a resistor of the same value as the solenoid which may be 11-15 ohm. If still have the auto trans use an ohm meter to determine this value.

You will need one resistor for each solenoid.

The ECU applies the power to the solenoid, you do not need to do this. If you install the resistor in place of the solenoid the computer will "think" everything is OK.

Power to the solenoid comes from the ECU, goes through the solenoid and then to ground. Place the resistor in the circuit accordingly.

The another circuit to turn on/off the overdrive. A switch on the gear selector would ground a wire from the ECU to allow the OD to work.

There is also the auto trans gear selector switch. When the fears R, N, 2, L (No P) are selected 12V power is inputted to the R, N, 2. L input of the computer accordingly.

This might be to keep the engine from starting in gear and control idle speed via the IAC valve.

Every trans diff has a speed sensor, you will need to hook this up to the one on the manual trans.

Depending on auto trans model it may have a second speed sensor, not sure what to about this situation.

Post back with your trans model.

Send PM with email address and can provide info on the cars wiring and auto trans operation that may help you.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:03 AM

Now I know what to do.
You must only give a constant 5V signal on the speed signal entrance at the ECU, then the ECU think you drive always on same speed and you fool the automatic.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for getting back on your progress.

Did the old auto trans have two speed sensors. Did you connect the speed sensor on the manual trans to the ECU?

Does the speedo work OK with this change?

Old 03-13-2009, 03:47 AM

I dont know, if the Camry automatic tranny has 2 speed sensors, because I use the manual S54 tranny from MR2/Celica.

I take only a constant 5V signal from the Airflowmeter and split it to the speed signal input form the engine ECU.

The speed signal goes from the S54 speed sensor direct to the MR2 tach there is now cable to the ECU, this I remove and put the 5V signal on it.