Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   5SFE knock sensor harness location (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/5sfe-knock-sensor-harness-location-51247/)

gusu 10-07-2016 09:37 PM

5SFE knock sensor harness location

So I've been helping my friend with his 2000 Camry LE 2.2L and we have had no problem locating the knock sensor and disconnecting it's connector. We can't seem to figure out where it connects after it gets up past the intake manifold.

Any ideas?

dirty hands 10-08-2016 12:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
that answer will need a member with the wiring diagram

yep knock sensor located
under the inlet manifold threaded into the block

toyomoho 10-08-2016 09:11 AM

What are you trying to do?

The sensor wiring incorporates into a main wiring harness then routes to the ECU.

gusu 10-08-2016 11:28 AM

Well first off this is the connector I am talking about.

1999-2003 Lexus RX300 Knock Sensor Connector - Engine Electrical - Dorman 99-03 RX300 Knock Sensor Connector - 7878-05324661 - PartsGeek

Apparently the harness used for the 2.2L 5SFE engine is the same as the V6 that came on the Camry during those years so it has one connector that isn't used for anything on the 5SFE.

Anyway, we know where the knock sensor is, but we can't figure out where the single sided plug goes. We know that is goes up and into the wire harness in the intake manifold but can't seem to trace it to where it goes after that.

Thanks for your help!

toyomoho 10-08-2016 02:42 PM

Please explain in more detail what you want.

You stated the harness plug to the knock sensor was disconnected to replace the sensor?

The sensor was then replaced?

The harness plug was then reconnected?

Why are you now trying to trace the wiring harness to its conclusion. The knock sensor wiring connects to the ECU.

The V-6 has two sensors, the 4 cylinder 1. There should not be a free electrical plug.

Is there a free connector? If so what are the colors of the wires?

gusu 10-08-2016 03:32 PM

We ended up finding a car at the junk yard that was already picked through but the wire harness was left intact.

My friend's sensor is fine. The connecting harness is bad. In the V6 you just unplug and reconnect the harness to the two sensor and then the wire harness connector (The connector I linked in Y shaped with three connectors). Both the dealership and the parts store say that Y shaped connector works for the V6 and the I4 motor.

Since we couldn't find anything on Alldata, Mitchell, and even the Toytoa FSM on where it would connect to the harness we headed to the junkyard to trace it. The car we found had the throttle body and the valve cover removed with the wire harness left exposed. Given that the harness was already kind of mangled we decided to cut open the loom and figure out where it goes. Apparently the dealership and the parts stores are all wrong and there is no wire to replace.. with out a real PITA. Instead it is a single wire that seems to run all the way to the ECU.

At this point I think we are going to just run a new wire to the plug.

toyomoho 10-09-2016 03:55 PM

The FSM shows a direct wire to the ECU. If there were connections in-between this would be shown.

The wire is shielded to prevent electrical interference thus replace with same.