ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

87 Camry question about Engine cutting off only when hot.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Default 87 Camry question about Engine cutting off only when hot.

Hello to all,
Thanks to all for help with previous posts you guys are all the best and quite helpful.
Okay so my 87 Camry 2.0 5 speed has a serious problem of (ONLY WHEN THE CAR IT EXTREMELY HOT) when I turn the motor off and let it sit hot for about 4 minutes then it cranks/starts fine then immediately after that it dies. You can here that something is choking the engine even if the engine does start to idle it starts missing real bad and dies. Now to get the car running again all I need to do is give it a lot of throttle/gas when I start it up or turn the key off and let it cool down for a minute and then its good to go. So here is a list of what I have already done to fix the problem...... Inspected visually & physically all vac lines, cleaned EGR, EGR modulator, throttle body, and done complete tune up. I forgot to check the most simplest thing as this same problem happened on my 1990 Honda accord. Only when the car was extremely hot the main fuel relay would have the circuits separate and it would cause the car to crank and try to start but not continue to run. The EXACT SAME THING IS HAPPENDING WITH MY TOYOTA. So hence I think it may be the fuel main relay can someone please advise me as to where and if my 87 Camry has a fuel main relay and how to change it as well. Also there must be someone else on this forum that has experienced a similar problem with their 87-91 Camry please advise me here as I need some help with this one. The car is just not continuing to run after you try to start it when its extremely hot to me this means its being starved of fuel hence why I think the fuel main relay however that was the case with my HONDA and my Camry is different. So please advise me here if you think it might be something else or if the car has another relay for the fuel somewhere and if it is prone to going bad with heat and age please advise me thanks.
Dave

Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Wasn't the Honda relay issue due to poor solder joint.

There should be a small box in the engine compartment label "Diagnostic" or something to this effect. Open the box and use a section of wire to jump the B+ and FP terminals. This will bypass any relays and allow the pump to run when the ign switch is on.

Might be a fuel pressure problem, the fuel system has a bypass fuel pressure regulator system.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 AM

Hello Joey,
Thanks for responding back I will do that test you said what am I looking for though if the test works right I am guessing I will here the fuel pump come on? What if it is not working? Also what would the bypass fuel pressure regulator do if it was bad? I am thinking perhaps this might be bad? Also what do you think about the fuel injectors do you think if one of them is bad it could cause this problem please advise thanks.
Dave

Old 04-16-2010, 01:05 AM
Default follow up ?

Okay now I am getting very PERPLEXED HERE.... I tried a lot of stuff still the same problem I am running out of places/things to check on this car. I completed the job of cleaning & replacing the IAC that is NOT THE PROBLEM. The car is still doing the same thing. Now before I do anything else I will be asking many ? 's on here as I have done a lot of work for NOTHING..... Okay so here is my next suspect and question for you guys/girls. Would a dirty/clogged Fuel Filter cause/make the idle drop (only when car is hot) after starting the car when its hot? If a dirty fuel filter would not cause/make the problem with idle dropping then there is not point in checking/replacing it so please advise me on this question thanks. Next ? to all what do I check next I am running out of ideas on here guys PLEASE HELP.
Dave

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Wasn't the Honda relay issue due to poor solder joint.

There should be a small box in the engine compartment label "Diagnostic" or something to this effect. Open the box and use a section of wire to jump the B+ and FP terminals. This will bypass any relays and allow the pump to run when the ign switch is on.

Might be a fuel pressure problem, the fuel system has a bypass fuel pressure regulator system.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:06 AM
Default follow up

Okay now I am getting very PERPLEXED HERE.... I tried a lot of stuff still the same problem I am running out of places/things to check on this car. I completed the job of cleaning & replacing the IAC that is NOT THE PROBLEM. The car is still doing the same thing. Now before I do anything else I will be asking many ? 's on here as I have done a lot of work for NOTHING..... Okay so here is my next suspect and question for you guys/girls. Would a dirty/clogged Fuel Filter cause/make the idle drop (only when car is hot) after starting the car when its hot? If a dirty fuel filter would not cause/make the problem with idle dropping then there is not point in checking/replacing it so please advise me on this question thanks. Next ? to all what do I check next I am running out of ideas on here guys PLEASE HELP.
Dave

Old 04-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

The fuel filter seldom plugs up. If it did you would have poor acceleration from lack of fuel.

If very hot might be a vapor lock issue, air in the fuel line. The fuel system has a fuel pressure regulator. Perhaps the regulator is bad causing low fuel pressure.

The fuel pressure system could be leaking down pressure when the engine is hot.

The Autozone website may have technical info on the year/model in the sites self help vehicle repair guides. Or pickup a Haynes manual.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Default follow up

Hello there,
Thanks for answering back indeed I do have the haynes manual and that is how I was getting the list of things to check/replace in order to narrow down this problem.
What does the fuel pressure regulator do? If it were bad could it cause the problem I am describing the car not starting only when hot? Thanks for your help in this matter.
Dave

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The fuel filter seldom plugs up. If it did you would have poor acceleration from lack of fuel.

If very hot might be a vapor lock issue, air in the fuel line. The fuel system has a fuel pressure regulator. Perhaps the regulator is bad causing low fuel pressure.

The fuel pressure system could be leaking down pressure when the engine is hot.

The Autozone website may have technical info on the year/model in the sites self help vehicle repair guides. Or pickup a Haynes manual.