Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   89 Camry no power-crank-click, I'm about stuck. (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/89-camry-no-power-crank-click-im-about-stuck-50235/)

Childeric 05-06-2015 02:36 AM

89 Camry no power-crank-click, I'm about stuck.

Hey all, first post here. After replacing head gasket on this car (3SFE) (craigslist rescue), it was running nice so took it up to gas it up and wash it. After putting gas in it, I went to start it and I got a "no click no start" but with dash lights. So, not really knowing the true condition of the batt I jumped it... whilst doing that, my dash lights went out. Towed it back home and have done the following. Cleaned all ground connections and checked wire cont, disassembled and cleaned internal connections my block of fusible links on the + batt post (replaced one low amp FL), zero voltage drop to starter on main cable, checked all fuses with cont meter, replaced eng management relay with used one. Finally jumped hot wired my starter and it fired up immediately and ran (Fuel spark systems working), but no dash lights while running. I then checked wire cont from +batt post to about 10" down all small wires and all test fine. At this point all i can think of is there is a short farther down the loom between the batt and ign switch but not sure how to go about testing that.. also would like to test my ign switch... will pull the shroud tomorrow and see if there is any power getting to any of the switch terminals, I have no power to the small starter selenoid wire btw. Other than check for power at the ign switch I'm kinda stumped what to do next... any help much appreciated and sorry for the LONG post. Thanks

toyomoho 05-06-2015 11:55 AM

Dash lights?

Is this back lighting for the instrument console? Or the indicator lights (oil pressure, etc) in instrument console?

Do the tail lights work?

You check the gauge fuse?

Childeric 05-06-2015 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho (Post 89603)
Dash lights?

Is this back lighting for the instrument console? Or the indicator lights (oil pressure, etc) in instrument console?

Do the tail lights work?

You check the gauge fuse?

Neither the back lighting or the indicator dash lights are working, except for the red "door open" indicator, no radio either. Both headlights and tail lights are working. Sorry, I'm not sure which fuse you're talking about... I checked every fuse in the kick panel and in the relay box up on the drivers fender?

toyomoho 05-06-2015 06:55 PM

Indicator lights are powered by the Gauge fuse 7.5A which is powered by the ign switch. Do the wipers and turn signals work?

Back lighting, radio and other control back lighting is powered by the Tail fuse 15A which is powered by the tail light relay. Do any of the indicator or control lights work such as ETC indicator, cig lighter, hazard button light, cruise control light? All get power from the tail light relay. If tail lights work the relay is working.

Childeric 05-07-2015 12:34 AM

My flashers do work, no wipers or turn signals, cruise button either. Yes I carefully checked every fuse in the kick panel and under the hood. Wasn't able to get under there and check what sort of voltage I'm getting to the starter switch yet tho. Did the head gasket with the help of an online engine manual but no wiring schematic yet... will get a Haynes if nothing turns up soon. Thanks

toyomoho 05-07-2015 10:34 AM

Look in engine compartment for a small box containing 3 high amp fuses called 40A Main, 80A Alt and 30A AM2.

Power for the nonworking devices comes from the 80A Alt fuse (middle fuse). Check if fuse is OK.

toyomoho 05-07-2015 10:34 AM

Look in engine compartment for a small box containing 3 high amp fuses called 40A Main, 80A Alt and 30A AM2.

Power for the nonworking devices comes from the 80A Alt fuse (middle fuse). Check if fuse is OK.

Childeric 05-07-2015 08:25 PM

The 80amp fuse is good, i even took the box all apart and cleaned the connections. Could the ign switch cause this? Or does it must be, a harness wire problem ugh. Ok I'll quit yapping and go check the switch, thanks for the help.

toyomoho 05-08-2015 08:59 AM

The starter circuit receives power from the same circuit that powers the items not working.

Need to determine if power is reaching the ign switch. Note, the ign switch is two switches in one. Receiving power from the 80A Alt fuse (white wire) for one circuit and the 30A AM2 fuse (white/red wire) for the other.

You might be able to find a wiring diagram on the internet or at AutoZone in their repair guide section.

Childeric 05-08-2015 11:01 PM

Wayul, I was able to test the wires at that replaceable(?) soldered connector on the left side of the column, I do have power on brown and black/white (with key off position) so that jumping wires on that piece does start the car. Sooo, I take it, being the genius that I am *cough*, that that is the supply to the ignition switch and it's possible that my switch it bad. I was not sure how to go about testing the output side of the switch though... yet. Seems so unlikely that my starter switch would just spectacularly fail, with no warning (also the lock cylinder feels fine), but if so hey I'll take it. I have an appt on Tuesday with a local Toyota guru, if I don't have an answer by then I'm going to tow it down and let them have a look see.