Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   91 Camry, Lights on indicators not working (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/91-camry-lights-indicators-not-working-50081/)

Rick_R 03-04-2015 11:44 AM

91 Camry, Lights on indicators not working

Title pretty much says it all. I have a 91 Camry DX sedan, and I've gotten most of it restored, but the lights on indicators don't work, so I have to be careful to turn off the lights or I come back to a dead battery. Though I am used to it for the most part, this is annoying, as you can guess.

What would I look for in terms of repairing that circuit?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

toyomoho 03-04-2015 01:46 PM

The instrument console, climate system lights, etc? If so, do any lights work?

How about taillights and glove box light?

Rick_R 03-04-2015 02:33 PM

Hi, yes, all of the lamps work. I see "Lights" when I turn the car on, so I don't have to replace the bulb. The problem is, it's not activating when I have the lights on.

The car isn't in bad shape. The engine was replaced two years back, the battery last February, and according to the local Toyota dealer who did a full diagnostic for me, I need to replace the muffler and an EGR pipe, and there's a slight power steering leak, but otherwise everything seems functional. The lights all work, interior and exterior, cruise control, power locks, power windows, A/C, all good. I just replaced the resistance coil so the A/C works on all levels, not just high. Tail lights are good, trunk lights are good, and I even replaced the license plate frame lights on the back, so they are good. Not sure about the glove box, hadn't thought to look.

I left the lights on for about 4 hours last night, but was able to start the car up this morning just fine, so I would say the electrical system is in good shape.

I am thinking it might be a fuse, but I don't know where the fuse box is.

toyomoho 03-04-2015 02:46 PM

The lights (are) on indicator light?

You sure the car has one? None is listed.

Rick_R 03-04-2015 03:04 PM

I can photograph it. Yes, it's on the right side at the bottom, three under the oil light indicator. It might just tell me if a light is out, but it would seem to be what I think it is. Are there cars without the funactionality to warn you if the lights are on when you exit the vehicle?

toyomoho 03-04-2015 05:58 PM

Great!

There is an indicator if a tail or brake light is out and a high beam indicator.

There are cars without a warming light. The next generation Camry had no warming system.

Rick_R 03-05-2015 11:47 AM

I checked elsewhere, and there should be a chime. It was said that it's part of the integration relay, though everything else covered by that circuit works fine (radio, dome lights, power windows, etc.). But at $150, I will probably just have to commit to muscle memory the act of switching off the lights every time I turn off the car.

toyomoho 03-05-2015 07:44 PM

Buy a add on buzzer from an auto parts store.