ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

91 Toyota Camry has no Spark.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Default 91 Toyota Camry has no Spark.

I'm working on a 91 Toyota Camry with a 2.0 4cyl
The car isn't getting any spark out of the distributor. I removed the distributor cap and cranked the car, and the rotor is turning. I replaced the distributor cap and rotor with new ones. I checked the coil and it was bad so i replaced it too. I also have new plugs and wires. I'm still not getting any spark out of the distributor. I decided to have the ignitor checked but the part stores couldn't test it. So not being sure if it was the problem or not I decided to buy a new one, so I would know for sure the part was working properly. When I put the new ignitor on the car, it still wouldn't start, however the next day I went to work on the car, but before I tried anything I cranked the car over and it started. I gave it a test drive with no problems. I decided to drive the car for a few days and see how it did. The next day I drove the car 10 or so miles to work and it did fine. Then about 10:30 I left work on lunch and drove it for a couple of miles and back the car acted just fine. Then about 3 when i was leaving work i got in the car and it wouldn't start. The car cranks over but it has no spark. I'm looking for some ideas on what the problem is, and maybe ways to test those problems. Oh, one last thing. I have replaced ALL the relays and fuses with new ones. Thank you very much for all your help.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure there is power at the positive electrical terminal of the coil. If OK and your replace just about everything might be the pickup coils inside the distributor.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:32 AM

comman problem sometime can start and someime can't start is ecu. you can open the ecu and change all the leaking capacitor and clean the circuit where capacitor leaking with some thinner. and double the circuits if open circuits because of leaking capacitor