Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/)
-   ECU & Electronics (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/)
-   -   92 Camry v6 injector problem (https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ecu-electronics-12/92-camry-v6-injector-problem-49528/)

I want my car fixed 06-11-2014 04:04 PM

92 Camry v6 injector problem

Thank you in advance for any help and suggestions.

My 92 Camry 3.0 is running rough with a strong gas odor. Already replaced spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel pressure regulator. Still runs bad. Found #4 fuel injector getting 14 volts after about 30 seconds of running. Put test light on #4 injector connection, light says bright and does not blink.

Need to get this car back on the road. I appreciate any help.

toyomoho 06-11-2014 11:32 PM

Test light or noid light?

Injector will always have power to positive terminal when ignition on. The computer turns the injector on by grounding negative wire.

Alternator will charge battery at somewhere around 14 volts.

When plugs were replaced, did any look different as in too much fuel.?

I want my car fixed 06-12-2014 07:58 AM

I did use test light first then the noid light, the noid light start off blinking like when I put it on #2 cylinder, but after 30 seconds or so gets real bright and stops blinking only on #4 cylinder. Yes # 4 spark plug was, also had a code 21 in the computer.

toyomoho 06-12-2014 01:07 PM

This a 3V-ZFE engine?

Code 21 is main O2 sensor on left bank. Left bank is closest to firewall.

Check injector ohms 13.8 ohm.

Noid light only turns on when injector wiring circuit is complete. Is light on all the time after 30 seconds. If so, injector negative wire (blue) must be grounded.

If #4 injector is on all the time (light on), disconnect injector wire, engine running, and determine if engine runs same or better.

If light on all the time, check No 4 injector wire (blue) going to computer. Check if this wire is grounded when engine off (computer off).

Does the noid light becoming steady on happen at each engine start?

I want my car fixed 06-13-2014 11:03 AM

Sorry took so long to get back. Yes it is a 3vzfe engine, injector does ohm out at 13.8 like the other injectors next to it. With key off the noid light does not light up, turned key on light stayed off for about 20 seconds then went bright without even starting engine. I let the car sit awhile ,key off and tried it again , this time light came on after 5 seconds not as bright then blinked a few times with no pattern then went bright again.I did check red/white wire is ground with key off but goes to power with key on. Blue wire ohms out ok from injector connector to computer connector. Idid have car running with gas smell and running rough till i disconnected #4 injector , car ran better for a little while then started to miss again because of running on 5 cylinders. thanks again for your help.

toyomoho 06-13-2014 05:42 PM

Since you already accessed the computer, remove the blue wire from the harness plug at computer. The wire end terminals slide into the plug from the back side (side away from computer). They are held in by a spring clip built into the terminal. Insert a pin from the front side to push the clip back then plug out the wire. Look at the plug to determine which side the clip is on.

With blue wire disconnected, determine if noid light still comes on. If so, the blue wire is grounded somewhere.

If not check blue wire terminal on computer for grounding when ign key on (engine off) after so many seconds.

Can compare how blue wire and computer terminal should function with the wires for the other injectors. White, yellow, gray, red and green.

If a computer problem, has happened water or other substances cause a short.

I want my car fixed 06-16-2014 01:53 PM

With wire disconnected noid light does not light even after half hour, so it sounds like computer is my problem, I had a friend tell me that but did not want to hear that. Talked to dealer they want almost $1500.00 for new one and it is 3 weeks away. Thanks again for your help!, I guess I will just bite the bullet a order one.

toyomoho 06-16-2014 08:33 PM

Run tests to determine if #4 injector pin is grounding at ECU.

If needing a new computer, shop internet FIRST!!! Ebay plus various websites sell them. Buyers have had excellent results buying used.

The computer has a number arranged like 89661-06020, but could be different numbers. Find this number and do an internet search. Only replace old computer with replacement of exact same number!

I want my car fixed 06-26-2014 09:31 AM

Thank you for all the good info, got a computer off of ebay for $175. plugged it in car starts and is running just fine. whoooooooooooooo . I cant thank you enough for suggesting ebay to me, it was first time using it and worked just fine. I have checked for a water leak near there, but have not found any. THANKS AGAIN.

toyomoho 06-26-2014 11:00 AM

Great job, glad to help!

Thanks for posting back with successful repair.