ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

98 Camry wont start, ticking and whirring sound from dash?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Default 98 Camry wont start, ticking and whirring sound from dash?

Im dealing with a few problems. The first one is my ignition lock tumbler went bad. A new part is on its way, but when my fiance took off the bottom panel to my car a new problem developed. I am now dealing with my headlights not turning on (which is needed to start my car). Yesterday when I turned them on, the headlights and my dash lighting were very dim. Now they wont come on at all when I try to turn them on. Instead, Im getting a ticking and/or whirring sound coming from the far left side of my dash on the inside.
Weve had previous issues with my battery cables and my stepdad says it may just be a relay that went out.

Any ideas?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Can you be more specific on noise location.

Left side, is this the drivers side?

Noise from behind the dash.

Is this behind the ash tray on the far lower section of the dash or

under the covers around the steering column or

on the far left side of the car where your left leg would be. Under the dash but from behind a plastic panel on the side of the cars interior or

inside a plastic box in the engine compartment, possibly on the drivers side of engine compartment.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:20 PM

Well, Im inside my car trying to start it, so yes, the left side would be the drivers side (when I say far left I mean to the left of the steering wheel). The noise is coming from, again, inside my dash and it sounds like it is coming from somewhere behind my far left a/c vent.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure I can help.

Might be connected to taking off the bottom panel or not. Might be the battery cables again.

Why do you need to turn on the headlights to start the engine?

With the lights off, what happens if you turn the ign key to the ign key position needed to start then engine?

Does the engine turn over as in trying to start. If not, if you turn the ign key and nothing happens with the engine are there any noises being made such as a clicking sound?

The cover that was removed may also have access to the headlight, parking light wiring plus ign switch wiring. Not stating your fiance did something just that this area has the wiring for these items.

Of could be the battery cable again. A poor battery connection can cause all kinds of problems.

If you turn the ign key to start and nothing happens accept noise (and maybe not that) would look at the battery cable, battery cable connections at the battery, ground cable for battery, etc. Plus the battery itself to make sure it is charged.

The area you describe has the turn signal relay and an integration relay which helps operate things like the door locks, auto headlight turn off.

Does this car have auto head light off or day time running lights?